Fish dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wonder7990

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 75gal tank setup about 10 months old with a combination sand gravel substrate,a mechanical filter, 2 water flow pumps so plenty of water movement,all deco in aquarium is store bought. Water tests have always been good but most of the fish last a few months then die,had two clowns one died after about 7 months , tang lasted 5 months , several lawnmower blennies have died.mandarins seem to die overnight. Damsel died after 8 months I am out of ideas don't know what the problem could be. Temp is kept at 81 deg. Need help going broke buying fish.

Do you have live rock? What do you mean when you say aquarium decorations? Mandarins and lawnmower blennies need a constant source of food and could have been starving before you bought them.

Do you have a pic of the tank and current water parameters?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

store bought decor like for fresh water ? that kind of decor isn't really pouris enough to hold bb . you would be better off with live rock , saltwater tanks benefit with live rock in several ways .
1.) it holds the bb that keeps your tank healthy .
2.) provides hiding places for your fish .
3.) live rock acts like a natural filtration
4.) pods will colonize in the rock .
a list of your parameters would also help I'm thinking they past from ammonia poisoning .
a more detailed description of your tank will help .
along with a picture

Last edited:
Tank Pic and parameters

Thank you for your replies,
There is no live rock, all plastics. The filter is a fluval 406
Parameters:
Temp 81 deg
PH 8.1
Nitrates 0.
ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
salinity is at 1.02
one thing i must add is that the values never seem to change

Attached is a photo of tank

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 119
Is that colored gravel in there? This is a SW tank right? Without live rock is bet the mandarins and blennies starved.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

With little to no area for beneficial bacteria to grow on fake aquarium decor, that is one of the issues we are looking at.
The second could possibly be coming from that gravel. Saltwater does atrocious things to all types of stuff. This is to include painted up gravel which can then release toxins into the water column as the paint dissolves and chips away.

Back
Top Bottom