Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-12-2005, 06:19 PM   #11
I would perform several large water changes over the next few days with well aged/aerated SW. It could hopefully be simple water quality issue (DOC/pH) but there is the possibility of Vibrio or Uronema.

Are the feces white/pale/stringy or dark and solid?

Stop using chemical additives to fix tank chemistry issues if just pH related. Use water changes and be sure the tank is getting proper gas exchange. Chemical additives are a bandaid that usually cause more problems than they solve. Hard to maintain pH will more commonly be related to the way the tank is set up/room it's in than chemistry. If the alkalinity is between 2.0-3.0 mEq/l, it won't be a chemical issue for sure. If using pH fix's chemically, you can raise the alk too far and actually crash the pH which can in turn cause acidosis if not corrected quickly enough.

Old 08-13-2005, 03:48 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
Have not noticed condition iof feces.

I have been doing a 10% (3 gallons) pwc each week. I usually mix the SW a week before and store it in a sealed container. I check it again before doing the change. I have been using tap water and treating it (others I know in the area have done the same for small tanks). The pH of the tap water is 7.2. I am not really setup to maintain an RO unit. I think I might use distilled water for a while and see if that improves things.

I still have a Perc Clown, which was one of my first purchases. He has shown no signs of problems. I also have a scarlet shrimp and sea cucmber and both are doing well.

thanks for the advice

If at first you don't succeed, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a **** fool about it.
-- W.C. Fields
minotaur is offline   Reply With Quote

dyi, dying, fish dying

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com