Fish Dying in New Aquarium... Hopefully not the everyday stupid questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
pH is between 8.2-8.4 (thats as specific as the test kit gets). The sand is just there for decoration, but I figured I'd put that in and check that as my first variable. I'm almost positive it's not the water since it's coming from and RO/DI and the TDS measures 0 so I figure if I put the fish in and they have a problem in the first week, something must be up with the sand.

i know it doesnt mean much but something should be said for your efforts. You certainly have had a rough go of things. I wish i had some magic answer for you.

...I'm now setting up a 10gal hospital (testing) tank. I've added the black tahitian moon sand, put salt water from my mixing can in it, set the heater to 80 (just to facilitate the bacterial growth), and added 10 jumbo pieces of raw shrimp to the tank....

Take out 9 of those. For a 10g, you only really need a half a shrimp - one whole one at most - to cycle the tank. This is one of those situations where more is not necessarily better!

Last edited:
Haha... wish I had looked at this earlier. The shrimp ended up stinking up my hallway... badly. I took them out and changed half the water to get rid of the horrible smell. The bubble anemone died yesterday. It looked like it was going for a while... kept planting its mouth in the sand, then pulling back up, and doing it again. Finally yesterday, it didn't come up. No worse smell than a dead anemone coming out of the water. I changed out 50% of my main tanks water today to help get rid of anything that the anemone may have leached into the water. I also got a 24w UV sterilizer and hooked it into my return pump line so if it was anything bacterial that hurt the fish, it won't be a problem in the future. Can't wait for the hospital tank to be ready so I can try getting a couple more fish!

Well... for anyone who may be interested, I found the solution to all of my troubles. About a month ago, I went out to get a new tank since I finally decided there had to be something wrong with my 55 gallon. I opted for a 95 gallon wave (bigger tank to help ease anything i may mess up). I got it all setup, plumbed it the same way (except for one thing), got the fish and anemones in, and they've all been doing great ever since.

The one thing I changed is something I would have never thought of... I got this new tank from my local ma' and pa' fish store. They tried to sell me all they're plumbing parts, but I politely told them I could get PVC, vinyl tubing, and all that stuff cheaper at lowes and they were pretty quick to agree, but they were VERY adamant about me buying a check valve (for the return line) from them. They mentioned that they used lowes check valves on their plumbing in the past and had a lot of troubles with dying fish when they did that. Apparently the lowes check valves have a metal flap in the middle thats known to degrade and leech elements into the water when you first put it in. For the typical lowes customer application, thats not a problem at all, but for an aquarium application, thats a death sentence. So I bought the plastic check valve (flapper, connectors, and all) from my LFS, set everything up excatly the way I had it before after thoroughly rinsing it off, and now everything is going great!

It's been about a month now and there hasn't been one fish/anemone to die or even look so much as stressed. Everyone is playing hapilly and I think my two clowns may be close to mating. I bought them separately and they'd never go near each other or in an anemone before, but now they share one happy anemone and kind of chase each other around the tank and do this funny little dance.

Needless to say, I'm a little pissed at lowes for having metal components in what's labeled as an all plastic check valve, but I'm stoked at the same time cause everything is doing so well all of the sudden!

This may be one of those things you want to add to your cycling article... Get a test kit, use raw shrimp, check ammonia/nitrite/nitrate, be darn sure you're not using a lowes check valve, add your fish... :)

Great read, Thanks for your conviction debonair...;)

I have to tell you... I've been using this 95 gallon aquarium for a little while now and things are going great! I currently have two clown fish, a small (about 1.5 inch) blue tang, a large (5-6 inch) naso tang, a cardinal fish, a firefish, a baby (about .5 inches) dwarf lionfish and... my favorite... a small (about 4 inches) stingray! The stingray was the last to go in a couple weeks ago. Everyone is getting along great, eating well, and are very active... I'm absolutely loving it!

Now... I know what you're all probably thinking... the stingray will outgrow the tank and the lionfish will probably get hungry for some of his friends when he gets a little bigger. No need to fear, I've done my research. It will probably be a couple years before either of these two get large enough to outgrow the tank or cause any problems. Since this tank has been going so incredibly well, I have every intention of getting an additional larger tank by that point.

I've come across pictures of David Saxby's aquarium online and I must say, I'm completely envious! I hope to keep taking small steps towards that 1,200 gallon (3,700 if you include the whole system) monster and maybe get to where he is some day.

Thanks for all of the support so far!

If you are speaking of Urobatis halleri, which is likely, I hope you realize they need a chilled aquarium of around 62F +/-.

That's correct, although according to information I have found all over the internet, he does best in 72-78 degree water. The fish store I bought it from keeps their water at 72 and I keep my tank at 76. He has been in there for a couple weeks and seems to be doing fine. He's eating great and frequently seen swimming happily around the aquarium. Doesn't seem like he minds the warmth to me...

Back
Top Bottom