Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-20-2009, 08:27 PM   #51
AA Team Emeritus
The reasoning behind the QT suggestion is because typical aquarium environments are anything but sterile. There are numerous factors as to what could be happening with your system and with any system, but a QT is a controlled environment. My thoughts are if you can keep fish alive in your QT then that rules out any problems with your water sources, QT water parameters, acclimation procedures, and livestock sources. This would leave room to concentrate on other possibilities and allow you to document any "happenings" with your tank for that time being. That is my only point other than I always recommend QT's :p I also agree that patience is most virtuous

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:46 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
Are oxygen tests being performed? I'm not just talking about ammonia...

There are hundreds of parameters that effect fish/coral health, and as hobbiests we only test for literally a handful. And we don't really understand how those things we don't test for can come into play in our tanks. Normally... people stock tanks slowly and they don't have problems. Normally... when people stock tanks fast, they have problems.

I don't claim to know exactly what the problem is, but it sure seems like the absolute simplest thing to do is slow down. While freshwater tanks and saltwater tanks are similar, they're also very different in their tolerance for mistakes.
I understand that there are thousands of things other than what I have tests for... but the problem is, I have no idea how to test those things. Like, for instance, how would one go about testing the level of oxygen in the water?

debonair23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:49 PM   #53
AA Team Emeritus
DO meter = Dissolved Oxygen meter I doubt this is the case, though.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:54 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Me too. Low oxygen would most likely indicate a problem with the filter's water circulation combined with a massive source of decaying material in the tank (inconsistent with the ammonia readings reported) and the fish moved to QT should have recovered rapidly (I assume).
gzeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:05 AM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I think my point was lost. Sorry... internet forums sometimes leave much to be desired!

My point wasn't literally that oxygen levels should be checked. Instead, I was trying to point out that there are many other parameters - some checkable, some not - that go into what makes fish healthy. And just because ammonia and nitrites are fine doesn't mean there isn't a water quality issue. (FYI... Salifert makes a dissolved O2 test kit.) There's good reason that tanks aren't fully stocked in a matter of a month - and that's because if it was a successful way to do it, then we'd all be doing it!

I don't mean to beat a dead horse as it's obvious what my opinion is on this thread, but I just felt I needed to clarify my last post. I hope you get things figured out debonair - reef tanks are a fantastic thing to watch.
Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:41 AM   #56
Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi Deb, just wondered if things were getting any better in your tank. Keep us posted...we only want to help.

Sending luck your way.

I wish I could walk my fish ....
Copepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:25 AM   #57
Aquarium Advice Activist
Two questions. What is the substrate in the tank? Also, from your first post you mentioned plumbing with black PVC. I wouldn't expect any PVC glue to be a problem because it has to meet standards for human use. Black pipe is ABS which is normally used on drain pipes. I have no idea if it has anything in it that could be harmful, but might be worth a look. Why did you use black pipe? Check where you bought the pipe and see if there is a warning about using on drain pipes only. Some ABS is coated with an algacide, so the same reason you would use only aquarium safe silicone, it's probably best to stick with PVC that is used for water supply (as opposed to drainage).
lynxpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:53 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Still not much better... I still have the same fish that seem to be doing ok (two blue damsels and a cardinal), but now whatever was killing the fish seems to have moved onto he anemones. The bubble anemone seems to have fallen off his rock and dropped face first into the sand where he has stayed for the last half a day (i'm assuming this means it is dead). Then the anemone in the middle (can't remember the name... it's the one with the long white tentacles and the little purple tips at the end) has completely reeled it's tentacles inside and closed itself off so I'm assuming thats not too good either. The green one still seems to be doing fine.

I'm using tahitian moon sand from petsmart as substrate. I used the black pipe since the stand and tank rim are both black and theres no paint on the back or anything so I didn't want a bright white pipe sticking out like a sore thumb in the back of the tank. The guy at lowes said there were no warnings on the black pipe and it was just dyed differently... He didn't feel there would be any sort of problems using it as a supply line.

Per innovator's suggestion, I'm now setting up a 10gal hospital (testing) tank. I've added the black tahitian moon sand, put salt water from my mixing can in it, set the heater to 80 (just to facilitate the bacterial growth), and added 10 jumbo pieces of raw shrimp to the tank. I also got a small marineland biowheel HOB filter and put it on so the bacteria has a good place to grow. Once the cycle is complete, I'll throw a blue damsel, chromi, and clown in (the three that i've lost so far) and see how they do. Do you think adding those three at once would be deadly or should I do one at a time spread out over a week or two? Assuming all goes well, I'll try putting a piece of my black PVC pipe in and see what happens... that should be a pretty good indication of whether or not I goofed up there.
debonair23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:13 PM   #59
AA Team Emeritus
The question would be if the black pvc is graded abs or potable? The glue used is your pvc 'all-purpose' cement/solvent or Red Hot Blue Glue. Pvc pimer and cement also comes in clear I would siphon the gravel from the quarantine unless it is in a bag for cycling purposes. It is just another variable otherwise. Quarantine tanks should have nothing more than a small filter (hob or sponge), a heater, and pvc or other inert decor for hiding. Once cycled you can acclimate some damsels (Search this forum for relatively non-aggressive to shy damsels) and see how they react.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:22 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via ICQ to buddha_red
Does the black sand buffer your water? What's your PH?

"Only mistakes happen fast in aquariums"
"The solution to pollution is dulution"
buddha_red is offline   Reply With Quote

dyi, dying, fish dying

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com