Fish Eating LTA?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdellin

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just a thought... could my lta have eaten my bicolor blenny? The blenny was maybe a little smaller than the green chromis' in the pic, and obviously slimmer. The blenny was there one day and gone the next. He would always always come out to eat and it's been like a week since I've seen him. I don't think I have a mantis or crab, but I'm not sure.

Attachments

• 021806_795.jpg
    021806_795.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 59
well i baught a 3 inch square spot anthias and next morning saw my carpet extend really huge and looking great,then it start to expell something huge out of its mouth. And I found my poor anthias' head in it... =/

Mine ate a pokerchip with zoos on it that I got from Dr Mac and Son's so anything is possible.

(I got them back by the way, it wasn't pretty)

Let me clarify my answer, I was in a hurry when I posted and I'm sorry about that.
To answer your question, I bought some corals from Dr. Mac and Son's this past Sept at MACNA. He had his frags mounted on plastic poker chips. I had them banded to a piece of tonga but the rubberband broke and the zoos fell right down into the anemone. In my search for them, I finally seen the chip through the skin of the anemone. I won't go into detail on how I got them back but lets say neither were happy when I got done but they both recovered and are fine.
I don't really think your anemone is capable of snatching a healthy fish off the rock but if it was sick and stumbled into the anemone, there's no reason it's not possible he ate it. In oyf709's case, you hear alot about carpet anemones being fish eaters so it's not so shocking.
Your fish could have also just died and been cleaned up by your clean up crew or been dragged or blown behind the rocks. It's hard to say but I wouldn't condemn the anemone.

FYI, I'm betting the fish just died, because I got an ammonia spike (just .25) a few days ago. The fish wasn't sick as far as I knew, I had qt'd it for a month before putting it in main and it was eating well. It became part of the "pack" at feeding time. But it just disappeared.

Anyway, the spike makes me think that it died because I don't know what else would have caused it. Nitrates are still at 10. I did a water change and re-tested, it seems okay now. I HATE that! No explanation, just gone.

I thought I had a mantis a long time ago, and I know I have a eunicid... mystery.

Back
Top Bottom