Fish Food to help prevent disease???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scubasteve

Aquarium Advice Activist
I thought i read somewhere that some foods are dipped or enhanced with something that helps fend off /prevent diseases.
Can anyone reccomend one of these??

Some people add garlic to their food because they believe it helps the chemical allicen (sp??) helps stave off ich. Some also soak their fish food in zoecon or selcon or selco or some other supplament high in HUFA, the amino acids and lipids in hufas are very good for your fish.

and this is risk free to the fish?
ie. i can't mess it up, just soak and feed it to them?

Just be careful about what garlic you use. Some of the garlic supplements made for humans contain oils and other additives that aren't good for your fish. Kent's Garlic Xtreme is made specifically for fish... I highly recommend it.

Or, if you want to make it at home, buy some fresh garlic, peel it, cut the cloves into chunks and soak in some RO water overnight. Then, toss the garlic and just use the "juice" that you have created.

HTH

You can also add Vitamin C (actual name of the drops) to the food. This will definitely help boost their immune system. Kim and I add one drop of Garlic Xtreme and one drop of Vit C to each cube of food.

Squishy

Back
Top Bottom