Fish has white spots on eyes.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NONO-AMJ79

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a Yellow Tang and recently noticed it acting a little wierd. It would twitch to one side as it swam and would rub it's eye with its fin. Then the flashing started. It would swim and rub it's eye against the glass and sometimes the rocks. I noticed two white spots on its eye that would sort of fade and look like cloudy eye. What could be causing this and is there any treatment? Thanks.
pH: 8.1
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5 ppm
Specific gravity: 1.023
Temp: 76F

Hope the pictures help, he was hiding.20161109_175221.jpg
20161109_175301.jpg

Can you tell us more about the system?
What you are describing sounds like ich. This is something tangs are quite prone to if stressed. This can come from a multitude of things, to include too small of a tank and bullying from tank mates.

If it's on the eyes it may also be a fungus infection there are treatments on the market that can get rid of this if it is that of course.

Can you tell us more about the system?
What you are describing sounds like ich. This is something tangs are quite prone to if stressed. This can come from a multitude of things, to include too small of a tank and bullying from tank mates.
The tank mates are: 1 Pajama Cardinal, a chocolate chip starfish, a sand sifting starfish, and an emerald green crab.
I've looked at his body and there are no ich spots. I thought about that too when I saw him rubbing against the glass and rocks. Would a freshwater dip help?

How large of a tank?
It could be a fungal issue like was just suggested. I'm not as familiar with treating fungus personally, but there medications that could help with that as suggested. To treat you would need to do so in a QT tank.
I would still keep an eye on it to ensure that the spots aren't over more of the fish. If so it would be ich. Freshwater dips could help, but not fully address the reason that the fish would be stressed.

How large of a tank?
It could be a fungal issue like was just suggested. I'm not as familiar with treating fungus personally, but there medications that could help with that as suggested. To treat you would need to do so in a QT tank.
I would still keep an eye on it to ensure that the spots aren't over more of the fish. If so it would be ich. Freshwater dips could help, but not fully address the reason that the fish would be stressed.
The tank size is 60 gallons as of now. I'm planning for a 125 gallon soon.

Back
Top Bottom