Fish scratching on rocks.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XXFirefighter

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can my bud treat for ich right in his tank? He's got no LR or LS. a FO tank. All he needs to do is up the temp a little bit then follow the directions on the bottle right?

Any suggestions on the good stuff to use?

When I had FO without any inverts or LR I used Cupramine, I think most will agree its the best treatment.

If there are no inverts in the tank, he could use the treatment right in the main tank. Keep in mind, if it is a copper based treatment, once used in the tank there may always be a trace of copper that could be toxic to any inverts. It would be ideal to use it in a QT tank. Also, be sure to remove any chemical filtration as it can decrease the effectiveness of the medication.

OK will pass it on thanks guys...

A QT is out of the question. He's got too many fish he'd have to get the same size QT tank. He's holding fish for a guy whos tank exploded. A 230 gallon tank ! Exploded ! The 180 is maxed out...

Thanks guys !

Another thing to think about. With that bioload and the use of copper wiping out his bio filter, he may be in ammonia trouble real quick. if its ich and there are no inverts, he may want to consider hypo. Much of the bacteria will survive a hypo treatment.

quarryshark said:
Another thing to think about. With that bioload and the use of copper wiping out his bio filter, he may be in ammonia trouble real quick. if its ich and there are no inverts, he may want to consider hypo. Much of the bacteria will survive a hypo treatment.

I'll pass it on, but he does water changes every 3 days anyway because of the waste from the sharks eating ....

XXFirefighter said:
I'll pass it on, but he does water changes every 3 days anyway because of the waste from the sharks eating ....
Sharks will not survive hyposalinity, only boney fish can be treated this way. Sharks are also not tolerant of regular forms of copper either. Cupramine is fairly safe with sharks but should be used starting at a low dose and gradually increased over a period of more than the two days normally recommended. I wouldn't go beyond 0.4 mg/l though.

Cheers
Steve

I've never had a shark, but have had excellent results with tri-sulpha (or tripple sulpha). It does play a bit with the bio-levels but if you had a bacterial suppliment or as you say do water changes that may be okay.

Again I had great success with this product and it's reef safe.

How will a sulpha based med intended as an antibiotic help with parasitic related issues other than to aid in secondary infection?

Cheers
Steve

I'm no chemist or biologist, but it worked exceptionally well. The product advertises itself as being a remedy for itch and velvet.

Took about a week (less really) to clear it up.

Hi Steve,

Do you have any personal experience using Cupramine with a shark? Sharks don't get Cryptocaryon irritans. The best solution is to seperate the shark from the other fish that need treatment.

Cheers,
Terry B

Terry B said:
Do you have any personal experience using Cupramine with a shark? Sharks don't get Cryptocaryon irritans.
No I have not kept a shark and was under the impression sharks where quite resistant to Cryptocaryon but not invulnerable, I guess I stand corrected. The reason for suggesting the Cupramine was the animals where not able to be quarantined or seperated and the shark would be treated along with the rest.

XXFirefighter said:
A QT is out of the question. He's got too many fish he'd have to get the same size QT tank. He's holding fish for a guy whos tank exploded. A 230 gallon tank ! Exploded ! The 180 is maxed out...

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom