Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-03-2005, 02:50 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I agree. need solid number's to with with on water qualitys. Start using the drip method for aclimation but I dont think this is your problem. I feel you have the second baddest luck in the world, " Second Only To Me"
Any chance something got in the water. If it were me i would do a couple 50-60% changes and try again.

Old 03-03-2005, 03:46 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
If it were me i would do a couple 50-60% changes and try again
I was caught between this and suggesting that you throw a raw shrimp in and really watch it cycle.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 08:53 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Drip method is the best way to acclimate fish. Check your salinity and then check the bag the fish is in.... Dump 50% of the water out of the LFS bag(i use a tupperware bowl) drip for 1 hour slowly check silinity of bowl.... If the same salinity then drip for another 30min then put in tank. If not, dump 50% water and start dripping ..... It can take several hours to acclimate fish... Ph, SG are big killers with fish if there way off. Some LFS keep there taks a 1.017-19 and it takes a while to get them to .23-25, It takes me sometimes 3 hours to acclimate a fish.
i also use methylblu in the acclimation process.... I have have not lost a fish using this method(knock on wood)
good luck........

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 09:40 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I was a fish killer

I had te same problem. I would put fish in and they would die. What I did in hindsight is add too much to quickly. I am taking a much slower approach now. It has allowed me to reduce my nitrates by 75%, which I believe I was killing my fish.

So I am taking my time and slowing down the process
Old 03-04-2005, 10:47 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

According to the Burgess Atlas on fish, nitrates are a low level concern. Fish can easily tolerate as much as 100ppm with no problem. That's from a published marine biologist.

As for too much too quick, we're only talking about a single fish here. ONE fish, 2" long in a 55 gal.
runway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:46 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Fish can easily tolerate as much as 100ppm with no problem.
I'd like to see that report if possible. And believe me, this is not an attempt to "slam", but I'm just a curious type who likes to see various opinions. Definitely interested in this one.

TIA

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 01:46 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here's the source, austindad.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books
Old 03-04-2005, 02:07 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Oh shoot. I'd have to buy the book. Guess I'll have to check it out at the book store - and of course return it to the shelf.

THX

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 12:39 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Here is a thought - a disease with vauge or rapid symptoms.

in less than 72 hours, Brooklynella ( a dinoflagellite scourge) wiped out my 20 gallon tank that had been set up for 9 months. However, it left the camel shrimp completely untouched. Brooklynella is known for attacking Angels, damsels, and especially clownfish. Fish dying, invertibrates living? Might be a cause.

I would love to hear how the fish acted before they died. Typical symptoms are flashing (the fish scratching themself on substrate or decorations), then sitting very still, then keeling over. But this could take place in a span of twelve hours. Clownfish will emit white slimey mucos before they die.

Think I run a quarrentine tank now? Dang skippy!!! (and probably hypo dips, too!)
Old 03-07-2005, 10:50 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That's interesting, Dave. I didn't notice the clown emitting anything but they do tend to swim in one place looking grim, just before they enter that big fish tank in the sky.

Thanks for the input. I'll keep an eye out. Any test for detecting Brooklynella?

Tags
die, dieing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com