Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-11-2004, 01:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

fish still rubbing on rocks

I'm new around here & didn't realize there was a board just for questions on sick fish, so I'm posting my follow up here.

The first part of my question and replies is here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=33972

I've changed some water and water tests are coming in line. Two damsels died, two still swimming. The two remaining are constantly scraping themselves on the rocks. No other signs of disease in these two.

I don't know what to do... advice appreciated. Thanks so much.

Old 10-13-2004, 12:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Are you sure it's not marine velvet? Do you have a QT tank? I would move them into one and keep a closer eye on them. Velvet looks like a fine white dusting on the fish which may be whats causing the discoloration. It might be kinda hard to see. But the thing is, if you put them in a QT tank and they do end up have some type of parasite, you are also elimating the risk of the fish getting it again once they are treated and put back into the tank. Hope this helps.

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 01:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

The two damsels are the only living things in my tank at present. Is there reason to move them to another tank?

I was reading a bit on hyposalinity -- any thoughts on this technique?

Thanks.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
If it were marine velvet, hypo won't work. it only works on ich. The proper treatment for velvet is copper (preferably cupramine) in a qt tank. You don't ever want to use copper in your display tank.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Don't get coppersafe, it's a chelated copper and it's hard to find a test kit for it. I was recommended to use the SeaChem brand. There tests and products I have found to be the more reliable line anyways. Thats just what I've noticed.

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
Old 10-13-2004, 02:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sorry quarryshark, didn't notice you already recommended it . Listen to Quarryshark, he knows his stuff!

Old 10-13-2004, 04:23 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Look at the pec fins. See any fine white spots? I think that's where you'll see Velvet first. Any fine white spots on the fish yet? When I had it, I didn't know 'till after a few deaths. It looked like the fish hand fine sand stuck to their bodies.

Sounds like you gotta get the right diagnosis - whether velvet, ick, or something else, and whether hypo or other meds are needed. Guess it'd be hard to fix something not knowing what it is first.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 05:23 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I see some white on my fish now...

The larger fish has a white spot on his tail... it looks like a small bread crumb stuck to him.

The smaller fish has two similar spots on his top side -- small white specks that are three dimensional... the fish isn't changing color, but rather it appears that there is something stuck to the fish.

Sounds like ick then??

Also, why not copper in the main tank if it is fish only?

Thanks so much, you folks are a huuuge help to me!!!
Old 10-13-2004, 08:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Because even if you're not doing corals, invertebrates probabally won't survive in that tank, ever. Copper is really hard to get out of a tank.

Old 10-13-2004, 09:18 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

The spots are probably better described as similar to a grain of sugar or salt... thats what they look like. One spot on the tail of the larger fish, two such spots on the topside of the smaller fish.

Tags
rock, rocks, rubbing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com