Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: Are You Satisfied With Your Local Fish Store?
Yes 15 55.56%
No 4 14.81%
ARE YOU KIDDING ME? 8 29.63%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-16-2004, 12:49 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

my LFS is expensive! with shipping I can order anything online and pay half as much or less as they charge.
http://www.oldtownaquarium.com/
If you guys read this Lower your prices I would love to shop there, but why pay twice as much?

Old 06-16-2004, 01:20 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Quote:

i was taught if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all so......

Wow! The insight that statment carries just amazes me.

I wasnt bashing any store, or I would have said the name of the store. I just thought some of you might like to know. Plus, I thought we could come to each other for support. Anyway I know Ican, this place is great. It's good to know that their are more good stores than bad.
I only have one LFS in my town that i know of that carries SW stuff and the prices are bad, the staff needs to come on AA and learn something, and the fish look like crap...they are dead, dying, have ich, you name it. I envy anyone with a good LFS

Old 06-16-2004, 01:25 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well Said. 100% in agreement.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:59 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

I live in Manhattan, and there are only two LFS that specialize in SW that I know of. The rest are chains like Petco or Petland. Guess people don't like sharing their tiny apartments with garbage bins full of saltwater and RO filter tubes under their sinks like me.

Of the two SW stores, one seems great in terms of supplies and even has many animals, but they are very pricey. I don't like the look of the other store's tanks, though they do carry some supplies for emergencies.

Mostly, I've been sticking to online vendors and haven't had much to complain about (except shipping charges :| )
Fluval 304
CPR BakPak skimmer w/ preskimmer
Aquaclear 201 and 301 powerheads
Tronic 100W heater
2 20W NO lights
5-stage RO filter

Snail crew, Peppermint Shrimp, 2 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, Percula Clown, Watchman Goby
flynnternet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 02:43 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by divemasterjim
my LFS is expensive! with shipping I can order anything online and pay half as much or less as they charge.
http://www.oldtownaquarium.com/
If you guys read this Lower your prices I would love to shop there, but why pay twice as much?
I think we are talking apples and oranges here. I was not trying to compare lfs pricing with online pricing. I was pointing out the irony that the good lfs's are usually cheaper than the big chain stores. Usually large warehouse type stores sacrifice customer service and specialized selection in order to bring the customer lower prices - kind of a trade-off for the consumer. In the case of the big chain pet stores, you get the poor service but not the lower prices.

IMHO, I don't think comparing online and lfs is necessarily fair. Don't get me wrong, I buy plenty of stuff online but I also think that anyone who has gotten quality face to face help from the shop owner understands that is worth a few extra dollars.

Don't forget to check AA Sponsors first.

www.macna2006.com
saberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 04:02 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know that it is often wise to keep silent, but there are some things that really need to be said and talked about. This can be a very frustrating hobby, in a lot of ways... We all love what we are doing and we love the animals... Venting a little steam about such things helps in a few ways... I agree that it wouldn't be good for anyone to go bad-mouthing a bunch of stores in particular.. that's a bit of a sensitive issue, sometimes it is only opinions spoked, not facts and it could hurt a good business... but back to the "venting"... When we share our concerns with each other it helps relieve stress and allows us to share with each other, to bond, to face the issues as a whole group instead of one mere individual... None of these problems that we are facing are ever going to go away in our lifetimes... but we can't give up hope, we can't stop fighting for what's right. I think the best solution would be to start a chain of Aquarium Advice Pet Stores and each store owner/manager would have to be an Aquarium Advice veteran and hand selected by a panel of respected members... Also it would be wise to have training courses and stuff like that for ALL employees, even janitors... We would revolutionize the entire fish industry as we know it... Sure those are some high hopes, but like I said, we can't give up... If we do, all is lost...
Because of this site and the passion of so many members, I know so much more and I know what to look for in a Pet store... I don't really have any great ones around here, but I know what to stay away from... I'm also better prepared to avoid getting ripped off or buying sick fish. There might not be many store owners that are willing to listen, but this knowledge will help me to do what I can to have some influence on them. All in all I think a little ranting is good... but I think all of us, myself included, need to speak up a little more... If we do nothing to stand against something that is wrong, then we are part of the problem. If you see sick or dead fish, say something about it... They might ignore you, they might yell at you or kick you out of the store, but at least you tried. Those fish can't do anything to save themselves and as we all know- we can't "rescue" all of them either... It isn't an easy war, and we will lose many battles... but even one single victory would make any effort worth it. We can't give up...
Old 06-16-2004, 07:38 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well said Milli.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 08:57 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

The first one I went to when I first started the hobby was great. very informative and reliable, but the guys who worked there were sexually harassing me, so of course, I went somewhere else... 8O
Old 06-16-2004, 11:16 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

My LFS is great, healthy fish, very knowledgable staff. Prices are a little high, but not too bad. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Not much of a website though...

www.congressionalaquarium.com
Old 06-16-2004, 11:42 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
I went into one of the "chain" pet stores recently. I needed salt, would never buy an animal from them.
For the heck of it I looked at their stock. I was amazed at the number of fish with illnesses. Someone was actually buying a yellow tang that had a nasty case of ich. Got to talking to one of the employees and sometimes I have a big mouth. 8O
I asked him what their plan was for treating the diseased fish in their system. His attitude immediately changed to a defensive mode and I was promptly abandoned where I stood. I guess these chain stores survive due to new ignorant customers and their sales of dog food. Thank goodness for my "good" lfs
http://www.aquatictech.com . All employees are very knowledgable and they will not send a fish out with obvious disease.
BTW, I didn't buy the salt.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com