Fish turning white

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katiedods

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My fish is now 2 years old, he was originally orange . Over the last few months he has turned white.

Tank info: 20 gal, 2 gold fish, cold water

Please help if possible, thanks x

Attachments

• image-1539960190.jpg
    image-1539960190.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 108
  • image-1587357131.jpg
    image-1587357131.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 108
  • image-2232890985.jpg
    image-2232890985.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 108
My fish is now 2 years old, he was originally orange . Over the last few months he has turned white.

Tank info: 20 gal, 2 gold fish, cold water

Please help if possible, thanks x

How's his behavior? It may columnaris disease...

His behaviour is normal, likes to swallow stones though :/

^ that's so weird. I know that gold fish due to their high bio load require a much bigger thank than a 20 gallon. This may be the reason why it's turning white but I am not 100% sure.

From my research any goldfish need atleast a 30g for 1 fish and 20g additional for each goldie.

From my research any goldfish need atleast a 30g for 1 fish and 20g additional for each goldie.

Thanks, I've had fish in that tank for years and they've always been ok. Don't know what's going on with him. :/

If water parameters are okay, it might just be age. I've had Koi that looked one way when I bought them and a year or two later, looked very different. Had a white/silver one that turned to more of a gunmetal grey with a little white.

As long as he is eating and his behavior isn't different there is nothing wrong I had a gold fish do the exact same thing and he still lived For another 3 years until I gave him to a friend with a pond which he is still there. On a side note I decided to name him Michael Jackson for obvious reasons

As they grow they shed their scales to get bigger

my guy is over 10 yrs old he was all orange with no markings when I got him way back than , I won him at a fair
now after he grew he is almost a albino except for his orange spot on his head
and let me tell you he is a character
My wife calls him carrot top now(y)
he is housed in a 35 gal hex
to date he has out grown 4 other tanks and is still growing
he loves frozen pea's
his whole diet is vegetarian now and maybe a fly or 2 when he can catch them

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 61
I had a fantail that turned all white after a few years. He was fine though. Still alive few couple years later, although he has since been re-homed to a large pond at a friends house because he was about 9" long.

Back
Top Bottom