Fish was in Q tank at store and treated...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just picked up a nice disbar anthias at one of my LFS as well as couple nice blue acro's today. The fish store keeps all new fish in a 400g system and treates w/ methlyn blue and nitrofurazone for three weeks before selling the fish.

I"m assuming that some disease/parasite could make it's way to the store front, but do you think it's really necessary to keep this fish in a Q tank for another 3-4 weeks? I know everyone is going to say yes keep it in the Q tank for several weeks and I realize it would be the safest way....but what hypothetically the chances should be much less of it being disease/parasite ridden.

I'd be weary of getting fish that have been indiscriminately medicated. The stress alone from being medicated without the need is enouigh to want to have the animal in a QT for awhile to make sure it doesn't come down with an adverse affect from the medication. I'd also advise using some type of poly filter to help absorb any traces of medication still in or on the fish when you have a tank with LR. Just my opinion. 8)

Fish don't harbour meds, so no need for a polyfilter in that regard. I do agree on not trusting the afore mentioned teqnique. Meth blue can be good for some fungal issues and helps if a cycnide caught fish but that alone with the nitrofurazone won't do much against most parasitic problems.

I would still QT once you get them home.

Cheers
Steve

How could they? It's no different than any other animal, it's not transferable. Only the water is.

Cheers
Steve

Do they continuously add new fish to the QT, or do they keep that entire batch seperated for the 3 weeks? Would seem odd to go through that effort and be sticking new fish in the QT right before one comes out.

TCTFish said:
I would think something would indicate traces in their waste...just like any other animal.
Unless the foods where soaked in the meds it wouldn't be likely. Even if so, there wouldn't be enough to be a concern.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom