Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-10-2012, 05:57 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Fish With Ich HELP!!!

I've had my blue tang in my DT for about 2 months now and he now has ich pretty bad and I noticed it on other fish aswell... I've set up a Hospital tank for them with water from the DT, heater, carbon removed, and an air stone with some clay pots for them to hide in ( the PVC piping that I could find had all been treated so I got the pots from a pet shop)

I wanted to know cause I did read some where that you shouldn't use an air stone while treating is that true or false???

and I have a Ruby Cleaner Wrasse in there and wanted to know if cupramine will be safe to use with her cause I read somewhere else that thier ? Wrasse died... she is such a pretty fish and I don't want to kill her off....

all fish are still eating well feeding on garlic red algae and brine shrimp....

on the plus side of things when I pulled out my rock to get out the blue tang I found a purple and green mushroom yay..... I must be doing something right in this tank cause I haven't brought any corals yet

Oh and It's oko to let them settle into their new home over night before I start treatment right????

Old 10-10-2012, 06:20 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How many fish do you have? Also how big is your DT?

Old 10-10-2012, 06:29 AM   #3

6 Fish in a 240 LTR tank
Old 10-10-2012, 06:49 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gena1985
6 Fish in a 240 LTR tank

Well I hate to play the "tang police card" but that is probably one of the reasons it's happening. Tangs, all of them, need at least a 6 foot long (approx. 2 meters). If you don't have any corals, other than the freebies, have you thought of treating most or all of your tank? I haven't heard of using air stones in a positive or negative but I would assume more oxygen would boost their immune a bit to help. What are you planning to treat with? What other fish are in the tank??
Old 10-10-2012, 07:09 AM   #5

no offense tang police lol... I had a Blue Tang for about 5 years before he died from a bubble in the swim bladder in a smaller tank then i have now... the tang i have now is about 1" long only a baby and he is happy in the tank now but if he out grows the tank i'll find him a new home....

i have a sleeping goby, ruby wrasse, demsels

i only want to add 3 more fish over a period of time and a few little corals...

i spend many hours watching my tank so I know how they act towards one another and the blue tang doesn't get bullied if anything he likes to go and find all the fish and get them out swimming with him.... he has a great personality
Old 10-10-2012, 07:12 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah hippos are pretty cool to watch, have you thought of buying a cleaner shrimp and/or cleaner fish? ESpecially with the hippo as this will prob be ongoing. They get ich pretty often for some reason
Old 10-10-2012, 07:12 AM   #7

I'm going to treat them with seachem Cupramine but I'm going to the 1 drop per 4ltrs the first 48 hours and repeat every 2 days till I have the reading of .5 thought I'd take my time getting it to that dose cause I have never done it before and a weee bit scared LOL
Old 10-10-2012, 07:20 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hope the treatment works!!! Let us know how it goes!! I've never had to treat ich (fingers crossed), and it scares the crap out of me!!! So I have no helpful advice, just encouragement!!!
Old 10-10-2012, 07:20 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gena1985
I'm going to treat them with seachem Cupramine but I'm going to the 1 drop per 4ltrs the first 48 hours and repeat every 2 days till I have the reading of .5 thought I'd take my time getting it to that dose cause I have never done it before and a weee bit scared LOL
Well I've never used it before, went with the shrimp and he pretty much keeps all my fish looking perdy. Good luck, hope it works out.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #10

I have a Ruby Cleaner Wrasse my pet shop said it does a better job then the normal cleaner wrasse personally I think the common Cleaner Wrasse is better....

The Blue tang doesn't let him clean him I think it's because the wrasse is a bigger then him....

My other tang That I had he only got ich once and I fixed him up with a wrasse I figure it's the natural way of fighting this pest and tangs are wild so it's in their nature to go looking for a cleaner of some sort to help out....

he did try to get the peppermint shrimp to help him but they just ran away from him....

but now the fish are in the hospital tank the shrimp are coming out more rather then hiding out and eating from the bottom of the tank if im not hand feeding them...

I Would love nothing more then to get a cleaner shrimp for my tank but I can't afford $200 at this point just yet for 1 shrimp ( Sucks being an aussie in this hobby)

Tags
fish, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com