Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-12-2009, 06:17 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to MichaelsLilGray Send a message via Yahoo to MichaelsLilGray
Another question really quickly.. how long was the rock from the ocean out of water? the bacteria on the rock will start to die off rather quickly. so unless you kept it in water.. thats whats causing your water.. especially the ammonia to kick up.. your basicly adding ammonia with dead rock.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:19 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to pr787
Quote:
Because it took a while for the ammonia to build up to toxic levels. In the beginning, the fish tolerated the low levels of ammonia. But as it built up, and without bacteria to convert it to nitrates, it eventually reached a level that was toxic to those particular fish.
the ammonia didnt went up even with many fishes. it was always only the nitrite and never more than 1.

Quote:
You might want to go our "articles" section here on the website and read up on the whole saltwater nitrogen cycle.
i did.t thats why i write now.

Quote:
Also agree with thincat... if you're getting the fish from the ocean, and the water from the ocean, then you shouldn't really dilute down the water. If you do, then you're going to need to acclimate the fish to the different salinity over an hour or so - assuming the salinity is only a couple points different. Which brings up another question... how are you measuring your salinity when you're diluting the saltwater?
ok thats perfect. that way i can do waterchanges super easy now and just change a cube or two each week. i measure it with a plastic instrument with a "plastic-needle". dont know the name of it. its from rensun - "specific gravity"

Old 05-12-2009, 06:21 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to MichaelsLilGray Send a message via Yahoo to MichaelsLilGray
its called a hydrometer lol

There is one even better than that thing though (although i use a hydrometer..) you can also get a refratometer.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelsLilGray View Post
Another question really quickly.. how long was the rock from the ocean out of water? the bacteria on the rock will start to die off rather quickly. so unless you kept it in water.. thats whats causing your water.. especially the ammonia to kick up.. your basicly adding ammonia with dead rock.
ok usually all of them where from inside the ocean water all at least still wet on the beach. BUT, as i said i think i made a big mistake with one of them.

because i found a nice broken coral formation but at this day i had too much to carry (on that beach we have to walk thru a really humid tropical forrest because its a hidden beach) and i left it on the beach outside of the water. one week later i saw it again and took it home. in the car i realized that it started to stink when it got in touch with the water in the cube so at home i tryed to "clean" it as good i could from plants and everything on it but it still looked kind of dirty.

anyways i used it for the aquarium and the fishes ate from it and loved to hide in it. after the first fished started to die i thought it was from that so i took it out with everything else except 3 rocks i had in the from the beginning. its really clean in there.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:25 PM   #15

it probably was that.. the smell you smelt was decaying algea and anything else in the rock/on the rock that was rotting basicly...
Old 05-12-2009, 06:25 PM   #16

Quote:
its called a hydrometer lol

There is one even better than that thing though (although i use a hydrometer..) you can also get a refratometer.

ah yes now i remember too.
you cant always know everything right? at least i know how to use it.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:29 PM   #17

Quote:
it probably was that.. the smell you smelt was decaying algea and anything else in the rock/on the rock that was rotting basicly...
yeah i think so too. thats why i took it out but i guess it was too late. now HOW do i know when the cycle is done? i mean it always stay like that or will the ammonia get up if i just wait now? i feed the eel and mantis with living little crabs so there is always something on the ground letting the bacteria grow.

what should i do?
Old 05-12-2009, 06:53 PM   #18

here are some pics i just made how it looks now:

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...60da85f113.jpg

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...e50980a027.jpg

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...e7dfcf22b0.jpg
Old 05-12-2009, 08:58 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You do know Coral banded shrimp+Mantis after it gets a little bigger =dead coral banded Shrimp? Where are you located, Their might be a reef club around you to get some cheap LR.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:36 PM   #20

i know i dont mind. there are billions of those shrimps here. i live in puerto rico on the coast of san juan.

Tags
die

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com