Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-13-2009, 11:44 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to pr787
ah no. i made a huge waterchange again a few days ago this time with original ocean saltwater and i just added drinking water (im sick of the tab water) to adjust the SG.

From now on im planning to refill with ocean water only and to leave it at 1.027 how i get it for the future.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:24 PM   #32
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I was letting you know the mantis could be a problem in the future.
If you were using tap water, were you adding prim or a dechlorinator? I'm not sure if your tap water is well or city water....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 05-13-2009, 12:43 PM   #33

thank you. i used a tap water condtioner. but i wont use tap water anymore. i found the first mantis a few weeks ago but a bigger one. impressed how he attacted me when i catched him i started to read EVERYTHING about this creature when i got home from snorkeling. i was planning to get one when i see one again to study it for a while in an extra tank and let him free again. but then i realized that the version i found is less agressive and cant even open shells of snails so i decided to add him to the tank to see what happens and it works great. he is extremely intelligent and is living in peace with his only competition the moray. if one day a fish or two would die it would just be as it is. its natural. but i think i can teach him to eat from the stick. in the worst case i just let him free again.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:14 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr787 View Post
ah no. i made a huge waterchange again a few days ago this time with original ocean saltwater and i just added drinking water (im sick of the tab water) to adjust the SG.

From now on im planning to refill with ocean water only and to leave it at 1.027 how i get it for the future.
Don't get me wrong....Use the Sea water for water changes for sure, but use Tap or RO water to replace evaporated water from your tank. The water evaporates, not the salt. So If you replace evaported water with Sea Water your tank will get saltier as you add more sea water to refill your tank.
TC
Old 05-13-2009, 04:57 PM   #35

ok thank you for the tip
Old 05-13-2009, 06:07 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr787 View Post
...but here it looks like first they are totally fine and after 12-24 hours they seem not to be able to breath anymore and turn really dark and either go to the top of the water or to the bottom and get more and more weak ntil they finally die. can that really be the shock from hours before? i would be happy if so but it just seems like to me its something else but the water is fine like that how it is. at least no reason to die..
Still don't think the tank ever cycled. But it doesn't seem like you're wanting to consider that possibility. If you never saw ammonia, but did see nitrite (and continue to see it today), then something is wrong with a test kit somewhere. You don't get one without the other. Fish gasping for breath, losing color... sure sounds like ammonia poisoning to me.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:07 PM   #37

Send a message via AIM to MichaelsLilGray Send a message via Yahoo to MichaelsLilGray
with the adding of salt water without removal of salt.. just think of the dead sea... its so salty.. you can almost walk on it lol
Old 05-13-2009, 07:38 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
Still don't think the tank ever cycled. But it doesn't seem like you're wanting to consider that possibility. If you never saw ammonia, but did see nitrite (and continue to see it today), then something is wrong with a test kit somewhere. You don't get one without the other. Fish gasping for breath, losing color... sure sounds like ammonia poisoning to me.
no i believe that too. its just that i test the water alot, today too again. the ammonia test is almost white/with a little green on the beginning and turns into something between zero and 0.25. now after 4 hours its still the same.

i added a few small fish to the tank and i acclimated them a little more than 2 hours adding small amounts of water of the tank in the bag. until now they look perfectly ok and swim curious around.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:42 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

pr...how are your fish doing?
Old 05-14-2009, 05:48 PM   #40

Send a message via AIM to MichaelsLilGray Send a message via Yahoo to MichaelsLilGray
you added more fish knowing your water isnt where it needs to be?

Tags
die

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com