Fishes die #243243124532543

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me cut to the chase here... STOP adding fish until you figure out how to maintain a stable tank.

Also, do you have the needed licensing to collect from the wild? Have you reviewed laws, quotas, protected species, etc.?

fishes are great. i think the problem was the "stinky rock/coral" we had. since the complete water change and one week waiting without fish everything seem to be fine. and we just add little fish. by the way. you can get any fish u want here from the ocean ;-) there are billions of any species here.

fishes are great. i think the problem was the "stinky rock/coral" we had. since the complete water change and one week waiting without fish everything seem to be fine. and we just add little fish. by the way. you can get any fish u want here from the ocean ;-) there are billions of any species here.

Most likely not legally. Indiscriminte collection is completely irresponsible. I've said my peace, I'm bowing out. I wish you luck keeping them alive even though I wish you would limit yourself to animals already collected (legally) and available for purchase.

well if you like it or not but we are able to get much more interesting and beautiful fishes directly in front of our door, so why would we buy the most fishes?

in fact the most fishes we catched right now, was going to die because they was in little pools in rock formations on the beach which are loosing all their water when the water level sinks.

there is nothing more interesting than catching them by yourself and be able to study them. if in any case they seem to be unhappy in the tank or too agressive we bring them always back. also, we already let some fishes free which we bought in the store to make sure there are not too many in the tank. works fine.

also, we already let some fishes free which we bought in the store to make sure there are not too many in the tank. works fine.

Actually... it doesn't work fine. That's a good way to introduce non-native diseases and parasites into native fish populations. Not a good thing.

In your reply to me the other day, you said you didn't think your tank had cycled either. Seems like the best thing to do would be to cycle the tank, and THEN add more fish. You started this whole thread by saying this:

what should i do? im not planning to add new fish to the tank until i know more even if i may be forced to sooner or later to know if its better.

You've got a lot of good advice here, but the rest is up to you I guess.

yes i figured out it was the dirty rock i added to the tank bank then. everything is still great. the water also still the same. by the way. 99% of all saltwater fishes in the store come right from the ocean. they all get catched because it is really hard to breed them from what i know from all stores i went. we could clearly see that the behavior of fishes bought and catched is exactly the same. no matter if its about getting food or interacting with other species. there are plenty of people here on the island we meet on the reefs which get the fishes there too and everybody treat animals - no matter which kind - very respectful even without the thousands of permissions, rules and laws like in other countries in north america and europe, where people ae not even able think and to drive a car anymore without their laws and rules.

i really like this forum by the way execpt of some people with negative energy, bt this is the same everywhere i guess.

thanks again for all the advice. i keep you updated.

i really like this forum by the way execpt of some people with negative energy, bt this is the same everywhere i guess.

You are not really being fair. You cant call it negative energy just because it does not agree with you. Everyone has the right to post their opinion and it`s up to you which ones you use but as I said it`s not negative if it does not match what you think. I think all opinions on this thread have been pretty good to be honest with you. JMO

exactly and thats my opinion. its just one person and i can live with that. as i said im used to it. everybody is pretty nice and helpful here. so thanks again guys. im sure there is still alot i can learn. its always interesting for me to get into new things because i usually get bored easily, thats why a saltwater aquarium is great for me. especially living here :)

Hey PR, How about doing some research and finding out the names of the fishes you are catching in front of your house? I am interested as to whats out there in Puerto Rico.
TC
Kurts mention of not returning non native fishes into the ocean is a sound pratice. When non native fishes are released into areas that have no way of keeping them in check, those fishes then to take over and become pest. I don't think he was just aiming that comment to you, but to everyone in general. I hope you take it to heart. This would more then likely be something you would buy from the lfs.

we are really careful with that. we always do research before or after we get a fish to be sure we have n problems feeding and so on. usually they always stay in the same area, so when i go snorkeling i know exactly who lives where. im going to make a short list of what we got there but today i have no time because the prodigy plays in puerto rico today and everybody is pretty exited :p

.. I don't think he was just aiming that comment to you, but to everyone in general. I hope you take it to heart....

Actually... I was aiming it at him/her, specifically. And it's not just the fish itself - I'm assuming the fish being released may be native. It's the disease and parasite aspect of it. The fish may be native, but the diseases it may have picked up in the store may NOT be native. And that's not opinion... it's just the way things work.

Holy Maria.. We dont release them to another small aquarium.. Its the OCEAN which is a LITTLE bigger than an aquarium and I dont think any kind of disease from a store could be any problem which the ocean couldnt deal with. Its just that there are ALWAYS those kind of people who act like teachers/parents whatever else and in a very annoying way. I may not know everything about saltwater aquariums yet, but I have spent alot of my time under water in the reefs to know that releasing one or two little fish into the open water is not going to be any problem. Even if the fish I released would die.. It would die happy and not squeezed in a way too small tank like in ANY pet store.

Edit: By the way. ANY store would tell you that the parasites from the ocean are a problem to fish from the store and not the opposite. So you are more than wrong thinking that way.

The End

It doesn't matter that the ocean is bigger than an aquarium. There are countless documented cases of fish being released into the wild from a home aquarium and causing havoc on the ecosystem in which they were released. It is not good practice to release captive fish, period. Any LFS worth its grain of salt would tell you it is not a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom