Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-15-2009, 10:08 AM   #51
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via MSN to pr787
we are really careful with that. we always do research before or after we get a fish to be sure we have n problems feeding and so on. usually they always stay in the same area, so when i go snorkeling i know exactly who lives where. im going to make a short list of what we got there but today i have no time because the prodigy plays in puerto rico today and everybody is pretty exited

Old 05-15-2009, 10:47 AM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
.. I don't think he was just aiming that comment to you, but to everyone in general. I hope you take it to heart....
Actually... I was aiming it at him/her, specifically. And it's not just the fish itself - I'm assuming the fish being released may be native. It's the disease and parasite aspect of it. The fish may be native, but the diseases it may have picked up in the store may NOT be native. And that's not opinion... it's just the way things work.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:41 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via MSN to pr787
Holy Maria.. We dont release them to another small aquarium.. Its the OCEAN which is a LITTLE bigger than an aquarium and I dont think any kind of disease from a store could be any problem which the ocean couldnt deal with. Its just that there are ALWAYS those kind of people who act like teachers/parents whatever else and in a very annoying way. I may not know everything about saltwater aquariums yet, but I have spent alot of my time under water in the reefs to know that releasing one or two little fish into the open water is not going to be any problem. Even if the fish I released would die.. It would die happy and not squeezed in a way too small tank like in ANY pet store.

Edit: By the way. ANY store would tell you that the parasites from the ocean are a problem to fish from the store and not the opposite. So you are more than wrong thinking that way.

The End
Old 05-15-2009, 03:05 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict
It doesn't matter that the ocean is bigger than an aquarium. There are countless documented cases of fish being released into the wild from a home aquarium and causing havoc on the ecosystem in which they were released. It is not good practice to release captive fish, period. Any LFS worth its grain of salt would tell you it is not a good idea.

Vote for Aquarium Advice

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com