fishy pimples

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taryn2185

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got a new clown fish and between his first two white stripes he has bumps that look somewhat like a pimple. The guy at the LFS didn't know what it was and thought maybe it was genetic. I am just worried that it may be ick.

all help would be appreciated!

Can you be a little more descriptive about the "bumps" in terms of color and texture? It may be what LFS suggested but a little more info would help or even better a pic would be great... As well if there are any other "signs" that may point to problems such as body slime, fast breathing, surface gulping, appetite and such.

Was the fish acclimated to a proper QT or the main tank?

Cheers
Steve

He was put in a small QT tank but I only left him there for two days because there really isn't much in there and he looked sort of lonely. (Dumb reason I know!)

But the bumps are a white color and are raised in a line between the two stripes. There had been two bumps when I posted, this morning there are now four. They literally look like little pimples on him, it is very strange but it is only on one side.

Everytime I come close to the tank he gets skidish and hides and I can't get a good picture.

Everything else seems pretty normal, he is not dusty, his eyes are clear, he seems to be doing fine otherwise. The only problem I see is that he doesn't eat as much as the other clownfish do.

taryn2185 said:
But the bumps are a white color and are raised in a line between the two stripes. There had been two bumps when I posted, this morning there are now four

Sound like some sort of parasitic infection but I am not possitive at this point which, although ick would be a good bet. I would definately suggest placing the clown back in the QT and be prepared to treat it. Due to the uncertainty, I would not suggest using a treatment as yet but observation will be key. If C. irritans or Brooklynella hostillis, your best treatment will be >>hyposalinity<<. You will also need to catch the remaining fish and treat them as well if so.

Next time you aquire a new fish, I would suggest leaving it in the QT for a full 4 weeks to ensure this does not happen again. You will then only need to treat the one fish instead of the entire stock... :wink:

taryn2185 said:
The only problem I see is that he doesn't eat as much as the other clownfish do.
How many clownfish we talk'in?

Cheers
Steve

It is only one fish. I took him back to the LFS and bought some Rid Ich to put in the tank. The guy at the fish store said that it was in the early stages and just to treat the main tank. I hope this is correct seeing as I've never delt with Ich before.

He took the sick fish back and gave me store credit...I think my other clown is going to be lonely. :(

They did have this one clownfish he said they haven't been able to see because he is defective. I thought it was mean to call him that. One of this stripes just on one side doesn't connect so people think there is something wrong with him. How long after the Ich is gone should I wait to get him? 6 weeks?

Thanks for all the help!

taryn2185 said:
It is only one fish. I took him back to the LFS and bought some Rid Ich to put in the tank. The guy at the fish store said that it was in the early stages and just to treat the main tank. I hope this is correct seeing as I've never delt with Ich before.
Adding things to the display tank should be avoided. The advice of your LFS was incorrect as far as treating something when you where not even sure what it was. In future, please use a QT and avoid these issues altogether... 8)

Rid ich is primarily formaldehyde and malachite green. Not something you should use in the main display IMO.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom