Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-15-2003, 10:58 PM   #11
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyFishies
I have been monitoring the water daily and the salinity is 1.009/1.010 ... and has been for 7 days.... Any ideas?
The SG must be maintained properly at 1.09 to ensure the parasite dies. Temperature has a habit of skewing the results if using a swing arm hydrometer.

If possible, try and borrow a refractometer from a friend or possibley the LFS and calibrate the hydrometer using the "borrowed" refractometer.

Salinity should measure 14ppt using a refractometer. Be patient and give it time. Once the salinity is properly maintained you will see results.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-15-2003, 11:19 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Temp = constant 75 degrees .... And I'm using a SeaTest hydrometer...

Old 07-16-2003, 12:23 AM   #13
steve-s

As I said, you should get the hydrometer double checked for accuracy. I just did a check with the SeaTest and the Deepsix on three on my tanks and the SeaTest was out each time by 0.5-1 ppt. That can make all the difference on the effectiveness of hyposalinity. Make sure you are also monitoring the PH regularly.

Keep in mind it's only been 7 days and it will take time. The various stages of the parasite will determine the "speed" in which you start seeing results.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-22-2003, 02:02 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Now it's been 14 days... and still no visible improvement. The spots have gotten larger although, I don't see any spread. The flame is not showing signs of distress and is still eating well. But the darn parasites won't go away. I don't want to treat with cupramine (for a # of reasons) But, how long does it take to see real progress?

I have checked to make sure the SG stays at or below 14ppt and the PH is fine.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:48 PM   #15
steve-s

I am still wondering if the hydrometer is still not giving you a correct reading. Confirming with a refractometer will be the only surest way. If possible take a sample to the LFS to test. You should phone first to see if they even have one.

Hyposalinity should have had some affect by now and the fact the infestation is not getting worse really leads me to believe the salinity is still too high. If salinity is over 14ppt, it will have no effect on C. irritans.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-22-2003, 05:56 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
The spots have gotten larger although, I don't see any spread.
This leads me to wonder whether it is C. irritans at all. I'm thinking Lympho after only having read the second page.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 06:03 PM   #17
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrunner69
Quote:
This leads me to wonder whether it is C. irritans at all. I'm thinking Lympho after only having read the second page.
Could easily be. If that's the case hypo will have no effect. In fact there is no cure other than improved living conditions and diet. Does it have a rough looking texture or fluffy?

What is the primary diet you've been feeding and how are the parameters in the QT itself?

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-26-2003, 07:49 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's an Update for those of you that have been watching....

After 2 weeks of hyposalinity with negative results, I decided to treat with copper. I purchased Sea Cure and a Fastest copper test kit. I tested the water FIRST because I had treated the tank b4 with Cupramine for a clown, but I had changed the water after that...but just to be sure....

No copper at all. So I followed the directions, except I used one less drop than instructed... In ONE DAY I noticed he had 2 less spots. It has only been two days (I did this Wednesday night) And all the parasites are gone!

So, I'm going to watch over the levels and maintain the .15mg/L for 2 weeks and bring the salinity back up....and I anticipate full recovery.

My opinion on the matter is with this experience, I'm not a fan of hyposalinity. It did nothing execpt maybe preventing the spread of the parasites.

To answer your Ques. Steve - He gets a diet of vegatable/algae based flakes, enriched brine, mysis, morsels and sponge-based angel food.

The QT tank Parameters:

PH - 8.2-8.3
trite - 0
trate - 10
Amm -none
Copper .10mg/L < X < .15 mg/L
Temp - 75
SG - 1.008/1.009 (12 ppt)
Old 07-26-2003, 01:39 PM   #19
steve-s

Interesting, I am very glad you have been able to help the flame.

In the last couple of posts however, I do not beleive you where treating C irritans as RR pointed out but something else. For properly administered hyposalinity to fail, where copper prevailed it could not have been ich.

Quote:
That is not the typical behavour of ich but rather a different parasite nor could it have been a fungus or lympho as copper would have no effect on the latter two. I hope you do not discount the possitive affects that hyposalinity can have when used properly. It is still a very effective treatment.

I wish continued good health for you. 8)

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-28-2003, 08:24 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

So now that we believe it is Lympho or some type of parasite other than ich... Is it likely to be contagious? Because now that it's cured, I'm raising the salinity and planning on acclimating to the main tank by the weeks end...

Tags
angel, flame, flame angel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com