Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-05-2003, 10:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Flame Angel & Spots

My flame angel that i acclimated on Tuesday has developed 2 white spots on his tail fin and what looks lok one large one on his rear underside fin.

I'm not sure if it's ich....and I'd like to avoid placing him in a QT if possible. I've used garlic to treat a lypho problem with my yellow tang, can the same be used here?

Any ideas?

Old 07-05-2003, 11:21 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know this is not the complete answer, but dont cleaner shrimp pick parasites off of fish?

Old 07-05-2003, 03:11 PM   #3
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by d9hp
I know this is not the complete answer, but dont cleaner shrimp pick parasites off of fish?
Cleaner shrimp will pick the parasite off the fish but it will not cure the problem. C irritans will remain present in the tank as long as there is a host fish to provide nourishment for them to multiply.

In rare cases fish can overcome problems on their own if the immune system is strong enough. Adding garlic to the food will help somewhat as the active ingredient allicin will help repel the free swimming theronts. It is still no cure.

The best possible solution is to QT all the fish in the display tank and perform either hyposalinity or treat with copper.

This is one of the main reasons to QT all new purchases prior to allowing them in the main display. You only need treat one fish not all. You can try the "touted" reef safe meds but your best solution will still be a QT.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-05-2003, 04:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hyposaliity, is it high enough to keep fish alive long enough? how do you do it, use a drip bucket and drip in RO water, overcoming evaporation and eventually lowering your salinity to such a low point?
Old 07-05-2003, 06:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I'm not sure if it's ich....and I'd like to avoid placing him in a QT if possible.
I'm not quite sure why QTing fish is so undesirable. It avoids the very problem you are experiencing now potentially, and places no other livestock in jeapardy at the same time.

It only require an extra 15-20g tank, a heater, and a HOB filter. A few weeks before you make your purchase, you place some filter floss or other media in your main tank's sump, filter, whatever. You then just set the QT up a few days before purchase and put the seeded media into the HOB and you can often skip having ammonia and nitrite problems. You can then treat as mentioned above, although I favor no treatment unless there is an actual problem. After the 4 weeks of success, you can break the tank back down and store it.

In addition to being a great place to observe fish for disease, it is also a fantastic place to get a fish comfortable to tank life without the stress of other fish harassing it. I have found they start eating much quicker as opposed to the CB that you see hiding.

As much as it is your responsibility to provide a good, healthy home to your livestock, it is more of a resposibility that they enter that home in great shape. Hopefully, this experience is not ich or another disease and can just be a learning experience.
Old 07-05-2003, 07:11 PM   #6
steve-s

Quote:
Hyposaliity, is it high enough to keep fish alive long enough? how do you do it, use a drip bucket and drip in RO water, overcoming evaporation and eventually lowering your salinity to such a low point?
Follow the link >>HERE<<. It will give you detailed instructions on how perform hyposalinity properly.

The salinity of the QT is lowered over a few days to 1.09 SG or 14ppt salinity. The fish will live quite well at that salinity and has the added benifit of being less stressful than copper treatments tend to be. The only thing to be cautious of is alk/PH drops when lowering the SG. They should be monitored regularly.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-05-2003, 08:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, wouldnt the use of marinebuff do it ok?
Old 07-05-2003, 10:39 PM   #8
steve-s

Quote:
Well, wouldnt the use of marinebuff do it ok?
To maintain the alk and PH, yes. You should still monitor the levels with proper tests kits to ensure accuracy.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-05-2003, 11:01 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am learning something new everyday. I am loving this hobby...
Old 07-15-2003, 07:57 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I chose the hyposalinity method and have had the flame in the QT for a week. I am noticing the spots on his tail are growing and there is now one on his face. I have been monitoring the water daily and the salinity is 1.009/1.010 ... and has been for 7 days.... Any ideas?

Tags
angel, flame, flame angel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com