Flame angel frayed back fin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikewest

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello again, I was gone for about half a week and my salinity rose and I replaced and did a large 40-50% WC and I just recently saw my flame angel had his bottom back fin was frayed. None of my other fish have the same issue. After the large WC my ammonia has rose to .25-.5 and ph also a lvl. All of my other fish look fine and my clown gets a little aggressive but it doesn't look like that would have been the cause. My flame is eating well from the rock and pellets and was acclimated properly, any help would be greatly appreciated oh and trites and trates are 0

I think that the frayed fin could be due to the ammonia level, that would be my best guess, LOL. I would try to get that ammonia down to zero and see if that helps. :) Just be careful dealing with the ammonia water as it can be harmful to humans too, ;-).

Why would the ammonia spike after I just did a large PWC

Why would the ammonia spike after I just did a large PWC

Did you stir up anything in the tank like sand? I believe that could be a possible cause (I think that is more for nitrates though) :confused:.

That is confusing though, normally the ammonia levels would go down...

I may have kicked up some sand but would that really make that larger an effect on only
One fish after a day?

It could have. Also, have you thought about the aggressive clown being a possibility? Fish kinda do that sometimes.

IF...

Hello again, I was gone for about half a week and my salinity rose and I replaced and did a large 40-50% WC and I just recently saw my flame angel had his bottom back fin was frayed. None of my other fish have the same issue. After the large WC my ammonia has rose to .25-.5 and ph also a lvl. All of my other fish look fine and my clown gets a little aggressive but it doesn't look like that would have been the cause. My flame is eating well from the rock and pellets and was acclimated properly, any help would be greatly appreciated oh and trites and trates are 0

If all the other fish are doing fine and the water chemistry is within normal/ acceptable ranges, chances are this is nothing more than a fin nip by another fish (most likely the clownfish) and nothing to be concerned about. You should however, be conscious of changes to the salinity too quickly. A 50% water change can alter the salinity enough to damage certain more fragile fish.

Just something to think about (y)

IF...

If the other fish are doing fine and the water parameters are in the acceptable range, this is probably just a fin nip (most likely from the clownfish) and nothing to be concerned about. You do however, want to be conscious of changes to the salinity too rapidly. A 50% water change can alter the salinity to a point that can damage more fragile fish.

Just something to think about...(y)

My coral beauty would always get frayed fins because of my clowns. Since I got rid of them, her fins have yet to fray.

Back
Top Bottom