Flame angel has pale colored skin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skip_16157

Aquarium Advice Activist
I noticed when I came home from work my Flame angel was very pale and uncolorful in the middle of its body. About 3 mins. later it looked normal. It has been like this for 2 days now. I also noticed it scratches my LR sometimes. There are no noticeable spots. I have been feeding brine shrimp and flakes with garlic xtract occasionally and everytime since I noticed this ( is this OK?) also I feed flake foods too. I picked up a frozen SW variety pack today. Is this a nutritional problem? My other fish seem to be OK (knock on wood). water is trate =o, trite=o, ammonia=0, ph 8.1ish temp 85. Did a partial last night.

My LFS where I got the fish recommended the food. He said to leave the lights on 24 hrs and to open up the PH's and put some air into the water.

Any suggestions? Thanks alot.

I dont like the idea of injecting air into the water via the PH's ventrui valves. I have a PBT that I swear got a case of ICH because my sump pump was cavataging and injecting microbubbles into the tank.

I would not leave the lights on 24 hours either as you will end up with algae issues.

I dont think your having problems with oxygen content as you never aid your fish appeared as if they where gasping or breathing heavly.

The garlic xtract will be fine.

It could be your fish is stressing about something. Try watching the fish from a distance. Keep the room lights off so as to try to view the fish with out it knowing your watching.

It seems to be breathing normal.
Now that you mention stress I did notice a little bit of it tail fin missing. The YT bothered it alot and chased it around in the tank when I first got it. Now they kinda swim around together fine. I haven't seen anything bother it while I've been around. The other fish are clowns and they never seemed to bother anything?

Is scratching the LR a symptom of stress to?

I'll try what you said.

I just got home from work and it has a cloudy eye and it has whiteish colored in the red areas?

What should I do?

I would lower the temp about 3 degrees and raise the ph to about 8.3
What is the salinity in the tank?

Well, keep a close eye on the YT and the FA. Unfortunately my CB did not win...My YT is about 2 1/2 inches and it fought my CB enough to stress it out and I believe kill it..It was also losing color.

I am not suggesting that about yours however, you will have to be the judge of that. YT's like the bright color when they are young. I was told today by a friend that keeps Tangs as their hobby, that when they are young, YT's are very pugnaceous, and will fight other fish the same size or smaller that are flashy and have yellow in the markings...I don't know how true this is, but, hind sight being 20/20, I think that because the CB had yellow in it, they fought. The YT does not fight with any other fish in the tank.

Strange...

The YT is the biggest fish and about 2 1/2" and doesn't bother anything else. What is strange it really bothered the Flame when I first got it but that only lasted 2 days. This is about 10 days later and now I have problems. I won't hesitate to give the YT to the LFS if I can catch it.

My flame doesn't have any yellow in its color, just purple and red.

Would this cause cloudy and a somewhat bulging eye?

I just got home from work and it has a cloudy eye and it has whiteish colored in the red areas?

I lost a flame to a parasite that started as cloudy eye. I think I would medicate in a Q tank if you can catch it or try some mealeflex sp? in the main tank if you can't. The cloudy eye progressed quickly on mine and the fish was dead in no time.

As for the pale/white color...... many fish change color for different reasons. Stress, aggression & diet being the most common. My Powder Blue gets a little darker colored and shows some vertical stripes when it is feeding or is wanting to fight. I have seen many Powder Blues in LFS that are very pale due to the stress of a new envireoment. Since I started feeding Formula 1 my clowns they have a much deeper color to them. I would suspect your Flame Angel is stressing. Do you have any pics?

I removed the yellow tang today because I did what Fishfreek said and noticed that it was bothering it. It has gotten most of its color back but the eye is still cloudy and puffy?

Should I gamble and leave the flame in the tank and continue to feed it with vitamins or should I take the YT to the LFS and put the flame in the Q. tank.

It is eating very well and is active?

I'm having sort of the same problem with my Emperor and now also a Koran and Semicirculatus angel on another tank....white discolored spots on their skin - nothing superficial, just white spots - BUT, the'll go away on day, be back another in diff. places, sometime they almost all dissappear and then re-appear - it's driving me nuts!

Check out my other post of Problem with Emperor Angel : http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=3176

The only thing I can pin it to at this point is stress - water quality is near perfect on both tanks and no ich or any other superficial diseases....here is my water stats:

PH 8.23-8.30
Nitrate - 5
Nitrite - 0
Specific Gravity - 1.022 and the other tank 1.024
Temperature - 79-80

Foods:

Frozen angel food cubes - once a week
Silver Sides - once a week
Sepctrum A+ Pellets

Back
Top Bottom