Flame Angel not feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RCSALTY

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Help

I recently added a Flame Angel to my tank and it doesn't seem to be eating. It grazes on the Live Rock, but there isn't much there to eat. I put green algae/seaweed on a clip but that doesn't work, I've tried frozen Mega Angel, Prime Reef flakes, green algae wafers, and Nature's Delica brine shrimp but those don't seem to work either. The fish is not stressed or harassed by any other tank mates....Any ideas ?????? :(

i think that it is stress due to you adding it in recently. Does it always sit on the bottom or does it swim around a lot?

Agree, it is normal for some fish to stop eating for a few days while they acclimate to their new tank. Did you watch this fish eat at the LFS? What were they feeding it?

Hi and thanks for the replys.....

To answer your questions:

1) The fish swims around and appears normal....no different than any of his tankmates (1 maroon clown, 3 green chromis & 1 Bicolor Blenny -- they all get along in my 46 Bow)
2) I did not have the opportunity to see the fish feed at the LFS

Always make sure the fish are eating at the store first, but that's already done... In my opinion... Fish love brine shrimp. Try that. Also... Dip the seaweed in garlic juice... garlic is a powerful stimulant for feeding and metabolism... Once you find something that it likes, it'll gradually eat whatever you feed it.

As a side... when you buy new fish, it's a good idea to use a quarantine tank for a few-6 weeks... gives time to make sure it's feeding as well as gives times for any disease to manifest itself.

That would be my suggestion. Try some spirulina flakes soaked in garlic extract. That is what got my Blue Regal eating, now she is a pig.

:hat:

Always make sure the fish are eating at the store first, but that's already done

Man, I can't stress that enough, especially with fussy eaters like angels. I scoped ou my latest Coral Beauty for two weeks just to make sure it was eating and in good health. The result was a fish that was hitting on freeze dried brine shrimp and flake food floating on the surface 5-minutes after it was released from the bag.

Some angels purchased from a LFS haven't eaten since they were captured.

Back
Top Bottom