Flame angel pop eye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

huma-huma

Aquarium Advice Addict
My flame angel appears to have unilateral pop eye in her left eye. I just noticed it today and she was ok last night before lights out. What is my best method of treatment?
Amm-0
Trites-0
Trates-20-25
Sg-.025

Everything seems spot on except for perhaps your trates. I've seen popeye develop slowly over time in tanks with trates at that level. I'd suggest a quick water change, but is there anything you can do to keep the trates at lower levels? (less feeding, more filtration etc)

To be Painfully honest, i let this tank slide for the past six months. I just was losing faith in it. But about 1-2 months ago i finally picked up steam and im working to improve it. Ive got a new powerhead coming in the next 2 weeks (jabeo wp40), new skimmer (curve 7) and a few other things, along with a big water change. Theres 11 other fish in the tank and they all are ok and eating like fatties, just the angel with this issue

Also i got a 5g tank set up as a hospital, i mixed new saltwater and i currently have it circulating with a heater waiting to reach temp and the salinity to stabilize. Im going to move her into that tank first thing in the am and keep a close eye on her.

Picked up some triple sulfa, they didnt have the malacyn. Gonna take it slow and see what happens. Hoping i caught it soon enough

Going into day 2 of medication. Angel is eating good and seems to be in good spirirts. Eye swelling has slowed considerably. Hoping that after day 3-4 that itll start to reside

Glad to know things are improving. When you do water changes on your QT tank don't forget to check and see if you have to true up the dose of the medication to compensate for the WC. Good luck!

My angel has the same thing. I'm going to go tomorrow and buy meds is what you used safe to use in display tank? Trigger had the same issue too so want to treat both if I can.

I wouldnt recommend medicating a display tank, no matter the meds. For one, you have to dose for the volume of tank, hence why a 5-10g tank will save you a ton in meds. Also its usually best to seperate the ill fish because you then arent medicating healthy fish and also its easier to examine and monitor the fish by itself. If you cant put the fish in a sep. tank, i believe this med is ok for use in a dt

Ok I have a ten gallon I can use. There both right now in a 30 gallon. Thanks for the info and good luck.

Just make sure you put a few pounds of live rock in the 10g tank and dont run any carbon filtration. Strictly sponge

I will its in a good location for me to change the water. So shouldn't be an issue. Just added second dose.

Seeing any signs of healing? On day two the swelling had slowed considerably and the fogginess was starting to reside a bit

He has started looking better. Eye is a lot clearer and markings on side have started healing. Still eating good. Will do the 25% water change later and dose again.

Good to hear!! There may be some swelling returning to my angela eye, but i couldnt get a long decent look at her eye... Ill check later today. If thats the case, im going to be doing a double dose on her next round.

Back
Top Bottom