Flame Angel weird swimming pattern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

birman

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a flame angel which I've put into the QT for the past 4 days. Started to eat a little till this morning when I noticed that it starts to swim in a very weird manner. It seems to be swimming with only the front fins and its tail is just "dragging" along. It has also showed a little sign of ich which I'm treating now with myxacin. Ich seems to be gone after the 2 days of treatment.
I've had a previous flame which died sometime ago with the same symptoms minus the ich. :cry:
Can someone please advise urgently?
Thanks.

Fish use their pectoral fins for cruising, they only use their tail for swimming for short bursts of speed. From what you describe the fish is swimming normally.

hi, reefrunner
Thanks for your reply. However, the way the fish is swimming is such that the head is always tilted upwards, as if it's struggling to swim...... it's like short jerking manner.

the fish is swimming like 45 degrees or more..... definitely not the usual self

Possible swim bladder disorder maybe.

Was the fish subject to any kind of enviormental stress recently?

i'm not too sure about any stress.... i feed it with frozen shrimps dipped in garlic extracts from Seachem. It was ok last night when I lower my Eheim Liberty 200 last night to half the flow rate. But I've another canister filter still running in it. I added in a clown and a juvenile blue tang to be treated for ich together. I don't think this can be the cause. I'm not sure what other stress there are. I noticed this morning I had a little surge in nitrite ~0.4ppm and I added in Seachem Prime immediately to detoxify it. Ammonia was nil. The fish's condition is deteriorating..... it's struggling very badly now.
Any recommended treatment? Could it be the myxacin treatment I started 2 days ago?

Back
Top Bottom