Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-27-2003, 04:20 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
I always have my LFS quarintine my fish for a month, he usually treats them with copper as a preventative. However, what ever this fish died of was definatly not treatable with copper. Im sure it needed a antibiotic of some type. The hardest thing in this hobby is diagnosing the fish too late. It is very difficult, because like this fish did, he was scratching the rocks, so I knew some thing was wrong, however,it was on his insides, there is no way for me to see that. And by the time his body got a little swelling on it , it was about 8 hrs later that he died. The bad thing is sometime you know something is wrong, but you just dont want to quarintine them and treat them with a couple of medicines that you arent even sure are the cure for thier illness.

Old 02-27-2003, 05:10 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

I'm so sorry to hear you flameback didn't make it!! That really sucks. There are too many variables diagnosing newly aquired fish, they have been through too much trauma. Do you have any idea how the fish was quarantined at the LFS? I have mixed feelings about this. I typically would not have a store hold a fish for more than two weeks (only in certain circumstances) usually one week. I prefer to quarantine myself.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 08:26 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

So Sorry to hear that he didn't make it. You know I lost my "new" flame angel a few weeks ago too. Never made it out of quarentine. It really sucks.

The positive to quarentining at home vrs at the LFS is that if you have to treat, you don't have to worry about catching the little guy first. I think if I had been able to keep my Q-tank more stable and had not lost my heater, my Flame may have made it. But, of course, who knows...
Old 02-27-2003, 09:00 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Do you have any idea how the fish was quarantined at the LFS? I have mixed feelings about this. I typically would not have a store hold a fish for more than two weeks (only in certain circumstances) usually one week. I prefer to quarantine myself.
I have a really good relationship with the owner of my LFS. He's more like a friend to me than just some guy I buy from. He has 6- 20 gallon tanks setup on a system separate from his store. When he get new fish in he quarintines fish just like you would at home. This does increase his loss because fish usually dont make it to someones tank before they die. However this does increase customer satisfaction due to the fact that you know your are getting a quality specimen. He will let you go in the back and look at the fish and you can put it on hold, he will not sell it until he is sure it is healthy. You can check in weekly to see how the fish is doing. This eliminates the need to quarintine the fish for another month. (I do recommend keeping a quarintine for a hospital tank.) Dean at Slice of Nature goes further than any other store owner I have ever seen. If Deans customers tanks do good, customers come back and Dean does good. Also, Dean takes the time to get the know the customer and thier tanks, and in many cases he has came to thier houses to accually see their tank and give them advice. I do not know what happened with this fish, but I do know it is not Deans fault. I watched that fish be healthy in his store for a month. Unfortunatly he was probalbly sick towards the end, he just was not showing the effects yet.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:08 PM   #15

I tried to do the suggestion that MP is saying about the on hold deal and the LFS around here will only do 1 week tops and they stay in with the population...no quar. Another thing too that bites is, if the LFS gets a shipment in on Monday, it is gone by Tuesday eve. Then, to top that off, only one out of the 5 or 6 in town will warrany the fish. I wish I had a relationship like yours with a LFS. Most here are in it only for cash and really don't care if you want something or not because someone else will buy it that day. It is bad as far a business goes...The LFS that I got the Clowns from was nice enough to replace them once. You won't believe the stuff I here in there.... 8O...Maybe I need to take a trip to Illinois...
Old 02-27-2003, 09:11 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Are the 6-20g tanks on the same filtration, or are they independant of each other?

Old 02-27-2003, 09:26 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

I think they are one the same filtration, but I am really not sure. Does it make a difference?
Old 02-27-2003, 09:31 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
The difference would be it is not a true "quarantine" tank as what is in one tank can still infect the others. So technically, it is not quarantine.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:31 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

If it is on the same filtration and week in week out he is putting new and sick fish in that system...it was never actually quarantined. This is why I prefer to quarantine my own fish. One fish at a time for three weeks, if a new fish goes into quarantine with the one that's in there....the time frame starts over. I'm sorry for your loss....and in your case (cause of the layaway) it wouldn't have made a difference, but in the future, let him hold it untill you know it is eating and isn't going to immediately die from the trauma of shipping, and quarantine it at home.

Old 02-27-2003, 09:39 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Only problem was he was eating great at the store. I acclimated him by drip for two hours. He immediatly was eating in my tank. He at up to the day he died. His illness was very wierd. Even though the LFS may not have a true quarintine, I would say they do more that most of the other stores out there. Thanks for you guys condolences. This is got me freaked though. I so badly want to change my tank over to angels. But know Im not so sure.

Tags
angel, flame

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com