Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-25-2003, 09:32 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
Flameback Angel problem

Well, it has been a long time since I have had to come to the sick fish forum for help. Unfortunatly I have a sick fish and need advice. My Flameback angel has been scratching against the rocks on one side right below his eye. I have inspected him closely and I did not include a pic because I cannot find a single thing wrong with him. His colors are great and there are no spots of any kind. He is still eating like a pig, constantly pecking at algae. I think it may be some black spot parisites, considering part of his body is dark purple I may not be able to see them.. Normally these are not a big deal if you have cleaner shrimp. However I cannot add cleaner shrimp until I get those god forsaken coral bandeds out of my tank. I was thinking of taking the flameback out and putting it in with the dwarf fuzzy lion in my FOWLR and treating it with coppersafe. Any suggestions or comments on this are apprecieated.

Old 02-25-2003, 09:49 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

How long have you had the fish..(and why haven't we seen pics???you hoding out on us???)? Is it possible it is scratchin at it's gills rather than it's eye? Ick will be present in the gills and irritating to the fish well before you will notice it on the fish. I am assuming your levels are in good order and it has not gotten whipped by the other angel?

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 10:06 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

He has been quarintined at the LFS for a month. I just picked him up saturday. Levels in the tank are fine. I havent got any pics snapped yet. No other angels yet. Ick in the gills sounds like whats going on. If that is the case then the coppersafe should do the trick. I will probably treat him for 10 days since I cant accually see the ick.
anyone else care to give their thoughts on this?
Old 02-26-2003, 11:48 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

My only input would be to Quarentine him now and start treatment immediately. Have you thuoght a FW dip. I know some here are against it, but if parasites are the problem, could be useful.

Good luck...I think I'm having terrible flashbacks
Old 02-26-2003, 12:13 PM   #5

My CB did this for about a week after I got it. I could not see anything either....As you know, I keep my tank at 82 -84* all the time so, that may be why it stopped.. I don't know. I do know it does not glance off of the rocks anymore.
Old 02-26-2003, 03:59 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

UPDATE: I now believe that it is some type of bacterial infection. He has a lump on his left side that is kind of swelled up. Unfortunatly the trap didnt make it today, so hopefully tommorow I will get him quarintened. I am going to treat with coppersafe and marycyn 2. I tried really hard to get a pic, but he is too fast and sticks around the back of the tank. Any ideas?
Old 02-27-2003, 03:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

My Powder Blue exhibited the same behavior you described for the first 3 days and then quit scratching. I have a couple of cleaner shrimp but have yet to see them work on the Powder Blue like they do the Coral Beauty. The Tang has now been in the tank for 3 weeks and still no sign of ich. The shrimp may be doing the work on the Tang at night.
Old 02-27-2003, 03:39 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Well, The angel died yesterday. I have recently had quite a bit of loss with this and the harliquins. It has really got me bummed out. Sometimes you wonder, no matter how much you know or research, is possible to keep all you tank inhabitants alive? It just sucks because I was on such a streak of good luck and lately the current happenings have really got me down. I am not positive, but I would say it was a bacterial infection that got the angel, it was definatly something on the inside of him. Something that, by time it showed its effects on the outside it is too late to save them. It really bothers me due to it being the most expensive fish I have ever purchased @ 65 dollars. It was a real beauty, Ill miss it, even though I only had it for 5 days.
Old 02-27-2003, 04:01 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
Quote:
Unfortunatly the trap didnt make it today, so hopefully tommorow I will get him quarintened
So you were never able to capture and quarentine this fish, correct? Sorry for the loss. Even though he was healthy at the LFS for a month before you bought him, he still got sick. Go figure. Sucks though, you have my sympathy.
Old 02-27-2003, 04:03 PM   #10

Sorry to hear about your loss....

I too have had my share in the past 3 weeks. 4 Clowns and my Bangaii. Dunno,,,in hearing about this, I don't know if it helps to know that is is quite common to lose fish or not...It is still hard earned cash that goes into these beauties...I recently added a Wimple Fish and although Beautiful, fun, and eating like a hog, I am keeping my fingers crossed...I noticed a white spot on the eyes that I am scared of....I am hoping that with good food, relaxed atmosphere, cutting the lights down, its own immune system will kick it...I hate using the copper additives to fix a problem that they can kick themselves with a little TLC.

Again, my condolences on the loss of your fish.

Tags
angel, flame

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com