Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-12-2010, 11:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I recently purchased a Frogspawn frag and have noticed some very tiny flatworms on its base over the last few days. All of my fish look to be doing fine, but I am wondering if I need to do something about these?

My parameters are all fine with stable temp/ph. I currently have a Coral Beauty, Maroon Clown, Yellow watchman goby, coral banded shrimp and cleaner shrimp along with my CUC. The only odd thing I have seen is the cleaner shrimp cleaning the inside of the goby's mouth a bit more over the last day or two.

The worms are so tiny there is no way I could take a picture and I only see them around the base of the frogspawn/live rock that it is sitting.

Any ideas? Will my fish/inverts eat them? I don't want to go dosing chemicals if I do not need to. These could of been there the entire time and I am just now seeing them...

b-towndoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:44 AM   #2
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
What color are they? If they are red, they are planaria and you can treat your entire display without harming any fish or coral with Salifert Flatworm Exit.
Here's a nice "how to" article.
Melevsreef.com - Flatworms | How to eliminate them!

125g reef
See My Tank Info
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Yes they are red. Will go get some flatworm exit! Thanks.

On a side note, I have been thinking of getting a Sixline Wrasse. Would one wrasse be enough to take care of stuff like this in the future?

Just trying to decide if I need to nix buying anything from that LFS. I inspected the Frogspawn, but wasn't sure if it would be safe to dip it in freshwater before putting it in.

Thanks for your help!
b-towndoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
I think I picked some up on one of my coral frags too... Mine are more of a greenish color. They population started to multiply so I began to siphon them out. I am hoping to avoid using any chemical cleaner. Siphoning is actually really easy - I do it similarly as is described on melevsreef.com. I am also thinking about trying a six line wrasse. I have heard that they will usually take care of the small ones.
Idaho-Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:15 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by Idaho-Tank View Post
...Siphoning is actually really easy - I do it similarly as is described on melevsreef.com....
Agree. When I went through my flatworm stage of the normal "aquarium plagues newcomers will experience", I eventually won the battle by siphoning. Didn't have to resort to chemicals. You just need to be persistent and patient.

I think just about everyone goes through a flatworm stage because until you go through it, you don't know what to look for on corals. Flatworms are like nudibranches - they come in various colors that can blend in to corals so well. Luckily, they're dumb as a stump so they're pretty easy to siphon away.
Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com