Floating Clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phyl

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had gotten a pair of mated WC true percs. I lost one of them at about the 2w mark. The second one has always looked healthy but always hung out by my baffle at the waters surface. He's always out and about at food time and I never really thought anything of his strange behavior other just being attributable to a strange clownfish. Last night during feeding time he actually looked like he was struggling to get down off of the surface. He looked like any time he started to swim down the upward momentum would carry him quickly back to the surface. Is my clown just a strange fan of the surface or could this be indicative of a problem?

He was acclimated over 2 hours with a shot glass every 5m (I know, not a drip system, but the good news is that, with your help, I get smarter every day :)) with the lights off. The lights remained off for a while after that. He used to swim around. Never been a big fan of the water column, but now it really seems like he's stuck to the surface. He's been in the tank since the middle of December. Last night was the first time that it really looked like he couldn't swim down.

If it is his swim bladder is there anything I can do for him? Will he get better? How does acclimation affect their swim bladder?

I'm going to refer this to SteveS for another opinion, but in the meantime my opinion.
Do you own a qt tank? My thought are to move her there, treat the water with 1 tbsp of epsom salt per 5 gallons of water and observe her for a few days. Also soak her food in a vitamin supplement such as selcon and see if things don't improve.
Maybe Steve will chime in with his thoughts.
Can you get us a pic?

I'll get a pic tonight. Good night too since I'll be feeding the tank. I may even take a snippet of digi-vid to share. I think in this case a video would be worth 1000 pictures :)

In the mean time I'll make sure that I have the epsom ready for the QT tank. Already have the selcon from when his mate was struggling for survival.

Other than the inability to swim downwards, is there any other odd things you've noticed?

Abrasions/lesions, bloating, stringy or white feces, cloudy eyes or red/enflamed around the anus?

What is the primary diet of the fish and do you know what caused the previous fishs' passing?

Cheers
Steve

I think the fish was just playing me. What a goof he is. I got home tonight and went to video him and he was swimming happily around the middle of the tank. He seems perfectly fine. He looked to be in complete control. I'll be feeding them in a little bit. I'll let you know if I notice anything else while he's feeding.

He looks perfect in every way (except for the normal hosting at the baffle during his quiet time). He looks to be a good size, not bloated, no marks on him, etc.

The fish eat formula 1, 2, mysis, cyclopeze, flake and pellet in rotation. He's a bigger fan of the f1 and cyc/flake than the rest of it.

His mate was the fish that had the white cotton on her mouth. It looked like it was getting better and then it got worse over Christmas and she died. You said that based on what you could guess with pictures that it was a fungal/bacterial infection of some sort.

I think the fish was just playing me. What a goof he is. I got home tonight and went to video him and he was swimming happily around the middle of the tank. He seems perfectly fine. He looked to be in complete control.
How cool is that!! I nice to get some good news in this area of the forum!! :D
His mate was the fish that had the white cotton on her mouth. It looked like it was getting better and then it got worse over Christmas and she died.
Still keep a close eye on him. I hope you are, but may not be out of the woods yet. :roll:
But that being said, most excellent news!!!

Phyl said:
His mate was the fish that had the white cotton on her mouth. It looked like it was getting better and then it got worse over Christmas and she died. You said that based on what you could guess with pictures that it was a fungal/bacterial infection of some sort.
I thought we'd discussed that in the past, sorry for the memory loss.

Good to hear on the swimming control. Keep tabs on it as Quarry suggested. I would also suggest being on the safe side and alleviate any possible pressure on the swim bladder. At the next scheduled feeding, mix slightly softend mashed peas in with some mysis. Basically works like a laxative.

If at any time you see the behavior again be sure to post back.

Cheers
Steve

NP, Steve, I'm sure you see your share of sick fish.

He typically hangs out on the surface near my right baffle, which I've always thought to be strange, but after reading about some clownfish behavior I thought maybe it was just the way they are. Then Wednesday he looked like he couldn't get off of the surface.

He fed great last night (Thursday) swam all around to get food (though he returned to his baffle ocassionally, but he looked like he was in control of that rather than looking like a diver with an overinflated BCD)

I'll mash up some peas (cooked?) when I feed them next. Would you add epsom to your main (and does that affect your spg?!) or would you just leave well enough alone for now?

Thanks for the advice.

Phyl said:
He typically hangs out on the surface near my right baffle, ........Then Wednesday he looked like he couldn't get off of the surface.
Could simpley be the clown was having trouble escaping strong water current. They are actually quite poor swimmers and do not typically remain in open water areas.

I'll mash up some peas (cooked?) when I feed them next.
Use frozen peas not canned, no need to cook them but be sure they are properly thawed before you mash them with the mysis. If you use fresh peas they will need to be blanched in hot water to soften and allowed to cool first.

Would you add epsom to your main (and does that affect your spg?!) or would you just leave well enough alone for now?
Adding small amounts of Epsom salt won't usually affect the salinity much at all. If you use the pea mixture it's not really necessary though. Personally I find Mg additions do not work as well on SW fish as they do with FW really.

Cheers
Steve

He hangs out on the side of the baffle where there are no... baffles? LOL. Seriously, there are no slots where he hangs out. He was in open waters when he was bouncing back to the surface. He'd swim for a piece of food and then he'd bounce right back to the top. At times it looked like he couldn't even get his mouth to the surface for the floaters because his fin was stuck out of the water. It was really weird. But so far this little fish has been nothing BUT weird. He was happily hosting in an anenome when I took him from the LFS, but I really don't dare put one in my tank right now (4x65pc over 120, only up and running for 3mo).

Frozen peas it is. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom