Floppy Coral Syndrome???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JonSolo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello All,

My question this time concerns a coral that is inflating itself to much. What I mean is, the coral (a purple finger softie) is increasing its size too much when the lights are on, and it's base is folding over from the weight.
Ideas?? Thought?? Concerns??

Thanks,
Jon Solo :idea: :onfire:

I'm not sure which species yours is, but corals will inflate when trying to feed, show aggression, etc.

When they can no longer support their weight it usually means it's time to frag.

True on the fragging but you also need to consider the salinity. An SG of 1.022 will actually make it much harder for many types of sessile inverts to support their own weight. Higher salinity values actually give SW animals a certain degree of "weightlessness" that allows them to support a larger body mass.

Cheers
Steve

If using a hydrometer it would be safer to target a tad lower so 1.024 would be fine if the temp is close to 80°. The easiest way would be through evaporation. That allows for a much slower migration upwards of the level and less stress to your inhabitants. Once the desired SG is reached, simpley top off with water of the same temp/SG.

If you have an ATC refractometer. Simpley target 35 ppt.

Cheers
Steve

A picture would be the most helpful. It could be as simple as needing some support from LR, or indeed needs to be fragged and traded or sold to the LFS.

Back
Top Bottom