Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Florida Ricordea and Zoanthids Help

So I have chosen these corals to start off with and red up plenty on them, but get stuff back and forth on feeding, do they need feeding or do they not, if so thinking of target feeding cyclops. Also I have a 12 gallon is there an over board on to many corals was thinking maybe 5 ric's and two or three zoa's and should I introduce one at a time with a small tank? Any help would be great THANKS GUYS

Old 06-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I dont feed mine and they look great, they have asymbiotic bacteria that they live off of. that being said SOME people do, because they have tiny mouths... I just add FUEL to keep them growing nicely and leave them alone.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Are u talking about both corals? And what is FUEL?
Old 06-06-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes both corals, they are actually my two favorite corals. Seachem Fuel is a nutritional supliment and growth accelerant, I've had allot of succes with it. Just give them good lighting and moderate flow and they will do fine. I actualy have two ricordias splitting now
Old 06-06-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Cool thanks and what do you about introducing them do one at a time or can I do a couple at once. I have a 12 gallon tank
Old 06-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Half now and half after a week or so would probably be optimal. You could add all at once, but I like to space things out whenever possible. Helps keep everything more stable, IMO.
Zoos and Ricordia are beautiful soft corals! I loved Rics when I started my reef. That and Florida's actually in the name, I thought was really cool!
Best of luck with your tank!!
Old 06-07-2012, 12:38 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I added all my zoas and than the ricordias, looking back I would FO the ricordias first only because when they get ticked they put a decent amount of slime out, not any trouble unless it lands on another coral. Than I'd imagine it would cause trouble. Having carbon or something like chemi pure in the filter will do a good job of removing it. Is it a nano cube set up?
Old 06-07-2012, 07:31 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a 12 gallon fluval edge, how many do you think I should put in of each, and keep them away from each other right?
Old 06-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well, zoas come in colony's of 10-20 heads and they slowly spread, so I keep mine on rock by themselves. I have heard ricordias will bother corals also so I keep them around the edges of my rocks. They don't have a huge bioload. So a couple colonies of zoas and 4 or 5 ricordias. Space the ricordias out some cause for the first few days they will stay small and kinda balked up. Than once they get a footing they open up about the size of a 50cents peice or bigger! They won't hurt eachother, (the ricordias) buy they look wat better fully opened. I had one go from the size of a nickel, to almost the palm of my hand.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, you want to keep a little space between them. Mushrooms are actually part of the anemone family, so they can sting other corals. They can touch themselves though, without an issue.
You could probably put 4 or 5 Ricordia and maybe 2 different colonies of Zoos, in a Fluval 12g.
Honestly, that would be a beautiful set-up!

Tags
ricordea, zoanthid, zoanthids

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com