Florida Ricordea and Zoanthids Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VinnyP

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have chosen these corals to start off with and red up plenty on them, but get stuff back and forth on feeding, do they need feeding or do they not, if so thinking of target feeding cyclops. Also I have a 12 gallon is there an over board on to many corals was thinking maybe 5 ric's and two or three zoa's and should I introduce one at a time with a small tank? Any help would be great THANKS GUYS

I dont feed mine and they look great, they have asymbiotic bacteria that they live off of. that being said SOME people do, because they have tiny mouths... I just add FUEL to keep them growing nicely and leave them alone.

Are u talking about both corals? And what is FUEL?

Yes both corals, they are actually my two favorite corals. Seachem Fuel is a nutritional supliment and growth accelerant, I've had allot of succes with it. Just give them good lighting and moderate flow and they will do fine. I actualy have two ricordias splitting now

Cool thanks and what do you about introducing them do one at a time or can I do a couple at once. I have a 12 gallon tank

Half now and half after a week or so would probably be optimal. You could add all at once, but I like to space things out whenever possible. Helps keep everything more stable, IMO.
Zoos and Ricordia are beautiful soft corals! I loved Rics when I started my reef. That and Florida's actually in the name, I thought was really cool!
Best of luck with your tank!! :)

I added all my zoas and than the ricordias, looking back I would FO the ricordias first only because when they get ticked they put a decent amount of slime out, not any trouble unless it lands on another coral. Than I'd imagine it would cause trouble. Having carbon or something like chemi pure in the filter will do a good job of removing it. Is it a nano cube set up?

I have a 12 gallon fluval edge, how many do you think I should put in of each, and keep them away from each other right?

Well, zoas come in colony's of 10-20 heads and they slowly spread, so I keep mine on rock by themselves. I have heard ricordias will bother corals also so I keep them around the edges of my rocks. They don't have a huge bioload. So a couple colonies of zoas and 4 or 5 ricordias. Space the ricordias out some cause for the first few days they will stay small and kinda balked up. Than once they get a footing they open up about the size of a 50cents peice or bigger! They won't hurt eachother, (the ricordias) buy they look wat better fully opened. I had one go from the size of a nickel, to almost the palm of my hand.

Yeah, you want to keep a little space between them. Mushrooms are actually part of the anemone family, so they can sting other corals. They can touch themselves though, without an issue.
You could probably put 4 or 5 Ricordia and maybe 2 different colonies of Zoos, in a Fluval 12g.
Honestly, that would be a beautiful set-up!

Hey thanks a lot guys I migh be going to thatpetplace today to check some out and see what I like, thanks for all the help

Best of luck with it Vinny, this is the best part...stocking! Definitely the most rewarding part anyway, finally get to see what you've been working towards. :)

Rics

Check em out guys got em in the tank and they seem to be doing good

Attachments

• rics.JPG
    rics.JPG
    225.4 KB · Views: 87
Nice, id put a couple inches between the
So they can open up fully, they will attach and grow a stalk in a couple days-weeks.

so they came attached to a rock will they go off that rock and move onto my live rock?

I've never had one move... Once they attach they ate pretty anchored. I wouldn't move them if they are already attached cause they become a bit of a pain to find a new place where they won't fall or get knocked off the rock before they attach

Back
Top Bottom