FloWe're pot coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melissajk

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi my question is. I bought a flower pot coral and at the lfs the polyps were extending out about 2-3 inches. I was wondering if that is how they are suppose to be? it has been in my tank for 2 days and it is not extend out like at the lfs. I'm attaching a picture of it. To me it looks happy. I have a kessil 350w.
Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1429119600461.jpg
    1429119600461.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 1429119638552.jpg
    1429119638552.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 99
Unfortunately after I bought it home I looked on live aquaria and found out that they are a hard coral to keep. I moved it down my sand bed it's sitting on some rock rubble. Maybe I should turn down my lights a bit.

Another question what makes them hard to keep. Is it the lighting and flow or the water quality and elements.

I've read more theories on that than I care to even think about. Read that they like a 'dirtier' water with some phosphates and such, read that they are more like a non-photosynthetic coral and need fed,...the list can go on. All I know is that these guys can take a long time to die off, which was why they were popular in the 'early' days of the hobby because they would last longer than other things. If they get damaged, it will end up resulting in death and is just a matter of time. Some members have been able to keep them for a couple of years, but then went downhill.

Back
Top Bottom