Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-23-2005, 11:34 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thank you so much Steve, i really appreciate all of your help. we will do the water changes, and get some vitamins for them. I have been adding garlic to their food, i feed them Spectrum Thera A by New Life and some frozen brime shrimp as well as flakes, and krill. We also feed the tank cyclop-eeze. Is this good or do i need to get some other kinds too.

As far as the nitrogens goes, in the beginning of May we lost all our fish (still don't know why, for sure, that was when i found this forum), so we decided to go ahead and replace the crush coral substrate with sand. We put in about a 5 and half inch sand bed. We waited over 4 weeks before buying the clowns, just to be on the safe side, and never had a cycle, or at least one we could see. Our tank has been up since Jan. of 2002, so we thought that the live rock was just taking care of the bio. The reason we switched to the sand bed is that we have been fighting a nitrate problem the whole time. It is the lowest it has ever been at 12.5ppm, so we thought the sand bed was working.

Now the other clown fish at the LFS has the same things on them, so is there something wrong in our tank, or just that they had this problem when we bought them and now we need to fix it? Is the fact that they haven't gotten better, and that the fugus is getting better mean that i have a nitrogen problem? I guess what i am asking is if you think i have a problem in my tank? all my corals, shirmps, hermits, and crabs seem pretty happy, would they be affected by a nitrogen problem?

As far as the regular water changes goes, we were doing so many (like 30 to 40 gals weekly), cause of the nitrate problem (before the fish died) that when we changed out the substrate, we thought it would be better to do smaller ones, so that we could keep an eye on the different levels, and see if it went through a cycle. ...... guess we were wrong on that too. :|

sorry for all the questions, and thanks for all your help!!

Mary

155 Bow front Reef tank w/
60 gal sump w/ refruguim, 20# of live rock, and protein skimmer and pump
200+ of Live Rock, with a 5-6 in sand bed.
3 Pendent Lights w/ 250K each
wave machine w/ 6 power head

2 P. Clowns, 1 Tomini Bristletooth Tang, 4 Shrimps, 4 emenaral crabs & lots of other snails & hermit crabs
Walpurgis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 10:55 AM   #12
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walpurgis
Thank you so much Steve, i really appreciate all of your help. we will do the water changes, and get some vitamins for them. I have been adding garlic to their food, i feed them Spectrum Thera A by New Life and some frozen brime shrimp as well as flakes, and krill. We also feed the tank cyclop-eeze. Is this good or do i need to get some other kinds too.
Personally I have never had much faith in parasitic food types but New lifes seems to be a reputable brand. Do not rely on dried foods too often though. Feeding brine can be somewhat hit and miss unless a quality manufacturer. Some are very low in nutritional value due to how they are reared and harvested. If you wish to feed brine I highly suggest hatching your own. If not, switch to a more consistant food source like mysis or better still, your own <<blender mush>>. You will be able to incorporate all the dietary needs into one feeding. No matter the fish's "wild" diet, all need a source of protein and veggie matter, your addition of the vitamins will be an added bonus to keeping a high immune system as well as vibrantly colored fish.

Quote:
As far as the nitrogens goes, in the beginning of May we lost all our fish (still don't know why, for sure, that was when i found this forum), so we decided to go ahead and replace the crush coral substrate with sand. We put in about a 5 and half inch sand bed. We waited over 4 weeks before buying the clowns, just to be on the safe side, and never had a cycle, or at least one we could see. Our tank has been up since Jan. of 2002, so we thought that the live rock was just taking care of the bio. The reason we switched to the sand bed is that we have been fighting a nitrate problem the whole time. It is the lowest it has ever been at 12.5ppm, so we thought the sand bed was working.
Depending on how long the tank was without waste producers (ie..fish), the biofilter may be significantly reduced. LR alone nor simple invertebrate life will sustain the biofilter to any great degree. The bacteria needs to be fed by way of ammonia. That can only be done by the breakdown of foods. If you fed the inverts on a regular basis, the biofilter will still be there, just not as strong as when first cycled or containing a number of fish. You need to keep in mind that the bacteria assocciated with biofiltration only grow to meet the demand (waste) being produced by a system. As each new waste load is added, the biofilter will need time to catch up and multiply the necessary bacteria down the line.

Quote:
Now the other clown fish at the LFS has the same things on them, so is there something wrong in our tank, or just that they had this problem when we bought them and now we need to fix it? Is the fact that they haven't gotten better, and that the fugus is getting better mean that i have a nitrogen problem? I guess what i am asking is if you think i have a problem in my tank? all my corals, shirmps, hermits, and crabs seem pretty happy, would they be affected by a nitrogen problem?
These fish where most likely unhealthy when you bought them. For this onset to happen so quickly, I doubt very much your system was the cause but it can definately be a continuation of it's presence. The nitrogen reading unto themselves will not necessarily mean you have done anything wrong. 12.5 ppm nitrate is not a big concern albeit lower is better. A condition already present would have been fed by any nutrient in your system coupled by the stress of transport reducing the immune response. Had these fish been much healthier when purchased, you most likely would never have had this problem.

This is the main reason why fish should always be introduced to a proper <<quarantine>> tank before entering the main system. Had you done so I would have suggested the antibiotic right off since they where in the appropriate environment to do so. To do so now would mean capturing, transfer and acclimation to a new setting. This can make the problem worse which is why the water change/feeding approach first. Failing that, then the QT process. I hope you are thinking of getting one if not already set up.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-24-2005, 05:46 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

if it flukes my angle just over it. i treated my tank twice with dyacide. took the angle into the lfs and they keep it and did fresh water baths for a week seems to have taken care of problem. if lfs wont do this put fish in qt and just do a couple of fresh water baths a day for 10mins at a time you can see the flukes drop off. try this for about a week.

1 blue tang
1 blonde naso
1 maroon clown
1 damsels
1 puffer

50 hermit crabs

70lbs rock
3" sandbed toped with crushed coral
2 overflows going to two bio towers and a 15 g sump
diy tank built into the wall.
pacheco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 12:24 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
i have had success with medication called triple sulfa.. used in conjuction with flakey skin, and cotton-like appearances around the mouth and dorsal fins. Im not sure if there is a triple sulfa in the states though..

StripesTheEel is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com