Follow-up Sick Anenome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scdc46

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Anenome is shriveling....

My Anenome is about 2 weeks old and was looking great until 2 days ago...

It dettached itself from the live rock and started to shrivel. My clown is still trying to rub himself on the anenome, but the anenome continues to get worse. I see some movement, but not much....

Also, I've seen a few entries stating that you need to feed Anenomes... Is this true? If so, what? I've been to 2 local fish stores and neither store has offered anything worthwhile.

I'm not sure of the name of the anenome; however, it is white with purple tips.

It's still detached and not looking good... Please help. All of my fish look still look great (except for a small hermit crab that died last night).

I've had this 38 gal tank setup for about 1 year... but I still consider myself an extreme newbie when it comes to my tank.

As far as feeding check out this thread where it is bing discussed:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=38638

As for the other stuff not sure, can you post a pic. Sounds like you are describing a condy or Hatian pink tip, but these usually do not host with a clown as you describe.

It is not uncommon for anenome to get real small and then expand. If it has detached is may just not be happy with current location and trying to move which they will frequently do.

To be safe I would check all water parameters and verify all is well. Then try direct feeding 1-2 times a week.

Keep us posted, with pics is possible.
Good luck,

Coral Life (PC) 10,000k (2 day-light, 2 night-light, 2 other light... each set at 96 Watt.

How can I send pics? I uploaded them, but they are pending approval.

Does it look like this (notice the shorter tentacles) or like this. The sabae is, IME, very difficult to take care of. If you have a sabae it might be dying. I have a sabae and it did the same thing for a while I just kept trying to feed it and it moved like 20 different times and now has decieded to make home in the very back of the tank behind all the LR. Only way I can see it is to stand at just the right angle on the side of the tank. Just keep an eye on it. If it starts to drop tentacles AND "melt" away, get it out of the tank. It is dying and can release toxins in the water. Also, someone told me that Anemones "deflate" to take in new fresh water. My BTAs will deflate every couple of days for a couple of hours and then they get bigger than ever. I found that Anemones like meaty food also. So shrimp, anything meaty and add vitamins to the mix also. Try to keep the clown away from it (yeah right). My BTA went through a bad phase when I first got it and my clown was so rough with it that she ripped a hole in the base and would pull off its tentacles. It finally recovered and I have had it for two yrs and in three different tanks and has split twice since. So there is hope. Just keep trying to give it food and vitamins (selcon). Good luck. keep us posted. Sorry this is so long.

I'm freaking... It's not looking good.

All I have is frozen brine shrimp, so I just fed my fish and put some by the tentacles of the Anenome... it looked like the shrimp just floated off of it though (but the other fish are happy). I'm clueless on feeding them... any advice on how to get the food to the Anenome?

Also, the picture did look like my Anenome (except that mine has purple tips).

Thanks for all of your help !!!

Heteractis sebae nor Condylactis need any supplimental feedings in a tank where fish are already being fed. Feeding these kinds of anemones is for the most part a contributing factor in their shorter captive lifespans. When an anemone is stressed as yours is, feeding will only make it worse. 2x96w on a 38 gal tank should be fine for the sebae mabye a bit much for the condy, how deep is the tank?

The fact it detached suggests something amiss with water quality usually or flow. How long since the lights where changes?

I would post as many tank details as possible.... :?

Cheers
Steve

You have a partially bleached Heteractis sebae. If the anemone is not doing well, the clown will only make matters worse.

Post the above answers as well as some additional info about the anemone. It is by no means shriveled if the pic is what you are refering to but is the mouth opening loose, gaping or tight?

BTW, I have merged the two topics so you can follow along a bit easier.

Cheers
Steve

If you look in my gallery, you can see the pictures that I'm refering to...

The tank is about 18-20" deep and the lights about about 1 month old.

The mouth opening is pretty open... doesn't seem loose though.

I've already seen the pics.

What about the water specs????... NH3, NO2, NO3, pH, temp and salinity?

How much water flow is in the tank?

Cheers
Steve

I have a Magnum 350....

All I have is the 5in1 test strips... they look okay (but I hate the strips)

Salt is at 1.023...

I don't have a temp gauge.

scdc46 said:
All I have is the 5in1 test strips... they look okay (but I hate the strips)
So do I, they're usually wrong :(
I would take a decent sized water sample to your LFS and get the full run down of tests done (not using strips) except the pH. The pH should be tested as soon as water is removed from the tank so you might want to get a better test ASAP.

Post the actual numbers (please not low/normal/high) once you have the results.

I'd honestly recommend replacing the strips completely. Salifert would be a good one to look for as well as Seachem.

I don't have a temp gauge.
You need to get one :wink:
Marine animals will do very poorly in water that is either too cold or too warm. 78-80° would be optimum.

Cheers
Steve

What you have is the Condylactis Anemone. If you have high nitrate levels it will eventually die. Water parameters? They also dont occur with clowns in the wild. Just my 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom