Fox Coral.....Does not look all that good.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melissamustang

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is a new one about a week or so..
Nitrite~0 Nitrate~2 Ammonia~0 Calcium~around 450 Everything else is fine as well ......It is in the sand bed away from everything and is just now starting to get a little better.
My question is what is this look like to you? I took a close up it looks like it dripping to the sand.
And its not getting fully inflated.
I know its probably still getting used to its surroundings but I worry I am not doing enough.
Thank you ahead of time.

Attachments

• mvc-197f.jpg
    mvc-197f.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 52
  • mvc-196f.jpg
    mvc-196f.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 63
How did you acclimate the coral and what condition was it when you got it?

Looks like the tissue is necrosing but I cannot tell from the picture posted... any sign of brown jelly/goo surrounding the polyps?

Be sure this coral is placed in moderate-low water flow and not too much bright light. Excessive lighting can often cause this coral to wither.

Cheers
Steve

Slow slow drip acclimation,No lights on when alcclimated and, honestly it looked all shriveled up when I got it. Its in the bottom of the monster tank MH lighting though. No goo but the second picture shows it like running off of its own skeleton.....

Steve the coral was drip acclimated for 4 hours with my new acclimation domaflicky.
Looks like the tissue is necrosing but I cannot tell from the picture posted... any sign of brown jelly/goo surrounding the polyps?
The coral actually looks better daily but still not "good" I have been looking for "jelly" but have not seen any. The only odd thing is it looks like a "bubble" popped and it laying down on the sand. It is not brown and has been like that for a few days.
The coral is located about 12" off center of a 250w 14k MH in approx 33" of water. Water flow is low to moderate. Think I should give it some shade?

Make sure you stand the coral up so none of the sclerites are touching the sand. It can be easily irritaed, not to be treated like brain or plate corals, The fless needs to remain free of hard surfaces. Also see if it can be placed under an outcropping or shaded area where it will get less light.

What the loose fleshy areas to be sure they do not start deteriorating or you start seeing brown jelly like areas. As long as you see no infection, light feedings of finely minced vitamin fortified foods should help improve the health. MAke sure water flow is moderate to keep the coral clean but nothing brisk.

How's the alk, pH and salinity?

Cheers
Steve

Make sure you stand the coral up so none of the sclerites are touching the sand. It can be easily irritaed
This could be part of the problem. The way it is shaped it may not be possible to keep all parts off of the sand. Would this not affect only the part that is touching the sand?

Brenden said:
Would this not affect only the part that is touching the sand?
If the area affected was part of the same polyp, yes it could be affected. More commonly though only the parts of the coral touching the surfaces are directly affected.

If you have a small softball sized rock you can attach the base of the coral to and elevate it some, that will help. As I said though, watch the light as it is the more common reason this coral fails. Try and find out from the seller what type of light it was kept under and at what depth releative to the light source.

Alk level?

Cheers
Steve

I placed the coral standing up more out of the sand and moved it closer to a rock hoping for some "shade". I think the amount of light is the about the same but it has looked perfect for 4 days now. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom