Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-23-2011, 01:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Foxface stung my Flame Angel

My Foxface and Flame Angel had it out last night and it looks like the Flame angel got stung in the process. His fins are frayed and he is now just laying on the bottom gasping. I don't see any obvious puncture wounds, but his sudden behavior and appearance would indicate a fight that he lost.

I purchased the two fish last Sunday and they were placed in my 30 gal QT tank for their 6 week observation period. They were both in great shape and eating well and seemed to get along great. They are the only ones in the QT tank.

I have removed the flame from the current QT and have him in a small 10 gal til I can sort this out. Is there anything I can do for the flame? or should I consider easing his suffering?

Just to get the simple stuff out of the way to help:
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 20
ph: 8.0

-Chuck
Krypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The Flame Angel has died. I went to check on him right after I made my post and found him on the bottom of the 10 gal stiff as a board with no gill movement.

-Chuck
Old 09-23-2011, 01:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Aww. Sorry to hear
Old 09-23-2011, 02:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks Kelly. This incident has me thinking that I am going to return the Foxface for something non-venomous. I knew this was a possibility and now that it has been realized, I don't want to risk my other fish once I introduce him into the DT.

I did find puncture wounds once I was able to examine the flame more closely, looks like he tried to bite the foxface because the wound was near his mouth.

-Chuck
Old 09-23-2011, 02:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

awe, poor thing
mother nature can be so cruel... but on the other hand, they dont really have much hiding space in a QT
Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:17 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Sorry to hear that. Most of the time when they get stuck like that it`s an infection that they can not overcome.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:37 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sory to hear about your situation. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:46 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry about your flame angel but he would have been the aggressor I'm sure.The fox face are peaceful towards other fish where the Flame Angel will be aggressive and eventually start nipping your corals if you have a reef tank.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:40 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh I definitely agree that the Flame angel was the aggressor. That was why he was going to be the last fish added to my tank. I wanted to make sure all my other fish had established territories so when I added him, he would find his niche and everything would settle down.

As far as eating corals, they are one of the hit or miss types of fish. Sometimes they do become coral buffet enthusiasts, but if you get them small enough and keep them well fed, they have a greater chance of learning reef safe feeding behavior and they stay away from the corals.

-Chuck
Old 09-25-2011, 11:50 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krypt
Oh I definitely agree that the Flame angel was the aggressor. That was why he was going to be the last fish added to my tank. I wanted to make sure all my other fish had established territories so when I added him, he would find his niche and everything would settle down.

As far as eating corals, they are one of the hit or miss types of fish. Sometimes they do become coral buffet enthusiasts, but if you get them small enough and keep them well fed, they have a greater chance of learning reef safe feeding behavior and they stay away from the corals.
I had my Flame Angel for 4 years before he starting nipping my corals,had to trade him in.
I was trying to say don't get rid of the Foxface for defending itself from an aggressive fish.Mine hangs out with my Black misbar clowns,Anthias's and fire fish with no problems.Most fish seem to know to not mess with the Foxface.

Tags
angel, flame, flame angel, foxface

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com