Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-12-2008, 04:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Foxface went blind

Hi all,

For some reason my Foxface has gone blind. His eyes look maybe just a little cloudy, he still moves them around when he swims but he is constantly running into stuff and he no longer can see food to eat. The worst thing he has been getting tangled with is my Curly Que anemone. Ever since I first got him (a couple years ago) he has always done this psyco flinch thing with his fins. He flicks the spiny (poisonous) ones repeatedly and super fast. I don't know if his eyesight loss has something to do with that or not.

Any suggestions? Is he a gonner since he cannot eat?

TIA

Old 04-12-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Usually for cloudy eyes one of the best things you can do is make sure of excellent water parameters. Every other day PWC`s for a week or two will be a great start. It will clear up on it`s own usually IME

And BTW for the not eating try soaking the food in garlic and see if that helps

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 06:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

looking into dosing a little epsom salt into your tank as well. It helps, I can remember how much to dose, but if you do a little online research you will find out exactly how much to use. It really worked well for me.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:15 PM   #4
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate. I use it to supplement mag. I don't see what that would do as far as disease control.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:10 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Epsom salt has been used in the industry for years as a weak treatment for popeye (fluid reduction), swelling, and triggering bowl movements in fish. It is not a fast acting "cure-all," but should not cause any adverse affects. The cloudy eyes may be a symptom of secondary bacterial from being stung and if so should be treated with Nitrofurazone or Minocycline (Maracyn 2). Pics are always helpful
Old 04-12-2008, 11:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have the same problem. I just got a Coral beauty a week ago, and it now has cloudy eyes. Unfortunately I am just starting so no quarantine tank set up yet. Anything I can do, it has only been a week that I have the fish, and the cloudy eyes didn't start until about 2 days ago.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks everyone. I will admit that lately "life" has gotten in the way and I haven't had time to keep up with all the water changes I know I need to do. I've got some mixing up right now...
I'll post back if/when anything changes.

Thanks again!
Old 04-16-2008, 10:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm wondering if I should put him in QT now? I've done a ~15% pwc yesterday and another ~20% today. His nose/mouth is getting pretty banged up from running into the rocks etc. It must be getting pretty sore because he really "flinches" when he touches it on anything.
I've tried hand feeding him from a sheet of green marine and he nibbles at it but I don't think he's getting much down (maybe his mouth is too sore to eat).
I don't have a qt setup right now but I'm thinking he would have a better chance in there anyway because he wouldn't have the rocks, anomone and current to fight - he could just rest.
I'll try to get a picture tomorrow but I'm not sure the cloudy eye's will show very well.
Should I keep him in the main (75 gal) or qt?

Thanks again,
Steve
Old 04-17-2008, 11:13 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
QT would be the best for him. You have much more control over his environment and can lower the salinity for easier healing and respiration. Plus you can add meds if needed.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:17 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I've got him in qt and manged to get a pic. In the pic you can kind of see the cloudy eyes. Another concern I have is his mouth, as you can see it's pretty banged up. Is there anything I can do to help it heal?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fox.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	13268  

Tags
blind, foxface

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com