French Angel Discoloration (White Patches)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tullsterx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Tank Parameters:
225G, FO (6 lbs. live rock)
Filters:

2 Magnum Canisters, alternating carbon and micro filter every 2 weeks. One is running carbon and one running micro. W/ 2 Power Wheels.

1 Fluidized Bed Filter, Rainbow Lifeguard FB300

Residents:
1 Sailfin Tang (5")
1 Convict Tang (4")
1 French Angel (3.5")
2 Engineer Gobies (7" & 8")
7 Blue-Green Chromis (1" - 2")

Test Readings 7/24/06
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
Ammo: 0
PH: 8.0
SG: 1.023 (Hydrometer reading)

Test Kit: API Saltwater Master Liquid

The Situation:

Added French Angel Juvi. (3.5") about 2 weeks ago. Has developed white patches. No raised scales. Patches aren't raised. Looks like discoloration.
Behavior: Active, feeding, not flashing.

Recently added 6 lb live rock. (1 week ago.) Seems patches became apparent right around that time.

Feeding: SFB Marine Cuisine, SFB Emerald Entree, ON Green Marine Algae with occasional Omega 3 Brine Shrimp. Adding Kent Marine Zoe, Garlic Xtreme and currently dosing tank with Marine C.

So, my French Angel has white discolored patches. Any Ideas?

I'm planning on doing Hypo in the main and dosing the main with Melafix.

If you have any inverts in your tank or in your LR the Hypo will kill them. It sure would be better if you had a QT and just treated the fish.

I have a QT, but I want to avoid moving the fish if I can. I don't have any inverts.

But, I keep wandering if this is going to require copper. This has been progressing for the last week or so. I wonder if it's Velvet and it came in on the live rock I added last week or so. Wouldn't velvet advance more quickly?

Velvet is a powdery white look. but let me tell you up front that if you use copper in your tank you will never be able to have corals and inverts in the future. Also can you get us a pic.

Damn, this is a big picture.

Yeah, I know about the copper. If I have to add it I'll be moving. . . well, everyone, to QT for copper. . . and letting the main tank sit for 2 months.

Here's the pic. . .

Benfish%20001.jpg

Yeah, I've changed about %50 of the water over the last 2 days.

So, what about the picture. Does that look like ich or velvet? Or anything else?

It looks more like a discoloration, possibly stings? If it is ich, they would fall off and come back. Your my info doesn't indicate any corals that could sting him.
How did you acclimate him?

Floating bag in water, adding 1/4 C of tank water every 10 or so minutes, for about 45 minutes.

I am a little confused, so bear with me....is 6 lbs of rock the only rock in the tank? If so, a lack of a natural environment could be a contributing factor. Rock does not introduce ich or velvet into tanks afaik. Another thing I see is that the acclimation was done too fast. That does not look like ich or velvet to me either. It looks more like scale loss.

There's about 100 lbs. of base/lace rock arranged in such a way to provide caves and other shelters.

One thing that I was wondering about, the Sailfin Tang has shown some initial aggression. That's diminished a lot. Could those be tail-scrapes from the Tang?

Also, I've read that live rock COULD introduce ick or velvet. No?

no, the ich/velvet needs a fish host......

The scrapes could be scale loss from close encounters and escape maneuvers IMO.

no, the ich/velvet needs a fish host......

Is it possible to have it come in from an infected tank. I mean if the tank had ich in it, at the store, and hadn't been fallow for 6-8 weeks, could it be slightly possible that the ich resides on the rock? Or are the tomites free swimming? Or is that just crazy talk?

The scrapes could be scale loss from close encounters and escape maneuvers IMO.

I think this is the case....

Back
Top Bottom