fresh dip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have never had any parasites either (knock on wood), don't know if it's just my luck or not but I do not beleive in the fresh water dip. The fish is already stressed enough, was shipped half way around the world in some tiny overcrowded fish container. The fish doesn't need any addtional stressors. To prevent any infestations use preventative method such as a QT tank if not then using some good techinics to acclimate him to the new tank is deffinatly and having compatible tank mates, some good hiding places and good water quality you should have any problems. Also scanning the LFS and seeing the condition of the tanks and it's fish is also a good preventative method.

Jc

I had to resort to the freshwater dip for a yellow tang that I had when I first started my tank. My tang developed "cloudy eye" and the only way I could medicate him was to dip him. I didn't have a qt tank at the time but I have one now. I didn't choose to do the 100% fresh water dip, instead, I did a half fresh and half sat water dip with Formalin 3 added. I can't remember how long I dipped him for at a time, I think it was 10-15 min. I monitered him for signs of stress and he seemed to do fine. I dipped him three times over the course of 4 or 5 days and it all cleared up!
Now, Im not exactly endorsing this method, but I was in a bind and didn't have a QT tank set up. I would suggest using a QT tank at all times if it is at all possible. I hated having to stress the little guy out by netting him, dumping him in the bucket, netting him again, and dumping him back in the tank. My poor clowns didn't know what the hell was happening to him! :? Im sure he had an adventure story to tell them everytime he got dumped in again! :lol:

i used a freshwater dip on my yellow tang that developed black parasites. it will work different for different illnesses obviously, but for my tang it worked great. i dipped him in in freshwater for about 2 minutes and when i took him, most of the parasites were already dead and had dropped off him. 10-15 minutes is way too long to be freshwater dipping so just make sure if you do that to do the half and half method that two11devan used. thats my experience, he seemed fin afterwards and currently he is very healthy. hth
steve

Thanks for making that clear steve, I should have put a disclaimer on my post to remind people that I used the half and half method! :wink:

I would only use it as a last resort, it to stressful on the fish
& if its flooded with it already, the stress alone can kill him. I would treat the tank with copper at a level of 2.5PPM for 4 weeks & that should do it, if not then it maybe that your temp. in the tank flucuates to much or thier is constant haressment against each fish.

Back
Top Bottom