Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-22-2003, 03:21 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Fresh water dipping???? Any success????

As i posted earlier, my yellow tang has some sort of infection.... one of its eyes is cloudy and his "skin" is discolored....there are no white spots, so im not sure if it is ich or not. I went to the aquarium and a guy that worked there said he had similar problems and dipped his fish in fresh water for a few min. He said the fish could tollerate the freshwater for short periods of time, but the bacteria can't. I was also told that doing a half fresh and half tank water dip with "formalin-3" for about 30min could also help the fish. Any one have any oppinions or success stories using either of the 2 methods???? I currently am dipping him in the half and half. They said to do this every day untill it clears up... Any help is appreciated!

Old 07-22-2003, 09:37 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I would say first that doing a freshwater dip is not a cureall type of answer for an unhealthy fish. Some fish problems are caused by parasites and a feshwater dip will remove the parasites from the fish but it wont remove the parasite from the main tank so for maximum effectivness you need to figure out what the cause is and correct that vs correcting the fish only.

There are many fish health issues that a simple dip can not correct so i would say the first step is to properly identify what the fish's problem is.

Can you describe the fish in more detail.

We know its a yellow tang with cloudy eyes and discolored skin. What color is the skin. Are there any red spots?

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 09:46 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
He said the fish could tollerate the freshwater for short periods of time, but the bacteria can't.
This is false, the fish can tolerate it (although it is very stressful), but so can bacteria. If it is bacterial in nature the fish should be removed to a hospital tank and treated with antibiotics.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 02:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrunner69
Quote:
He said the fish could tollerate the freshwater for short periods of time, but the bacteria can't.
This is false, the fish can tolerate it (although it is very stressful), but so can bacteria. If it is bacterial in nature the fish should be removed to a hospital tank and treated with antibiotics.
Quote:
We know its a yellow tang with cloudy eyes and discolored skin. What color is the skin. Are there any red spots?
There are no white or red spots anywhere on the fish. Im not sure how to describe it, there are "dark" spots on him. I saw one or two Tangs at the aquarium i got him from with the same problem (not from the same tank i got mine from). They said that it is pretty common for the tangs and they use the salt/fresh water dip with formalin 3...
Old 07-22-2003, 05:12 PM   #5
steve-s

The cloudy eye could simply be a result of netting the fish and may go away by itself. Keep tabs on it to make sure it does not progress or the eye itself appears to "bulge" out. You may need to QT and treat with a gram negative anti-biotic as mentioned previously. Sometimes a series of simple water changes (10%) over the next few weeks can clear up these things.

The "brown" spots sound like they may be lymphocystis which is most commonly brought on by poor living conditions and diet. Could also be a form of fungal infection.

Does it seem to be 'fluffy in texture or smooth and bumpy like a "wart"?

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-22-2003, 07:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
The "brown" spots sound like they may be lymphocystis which is most commonly brought on by poor living conditions and diet. Could also be a form of fungal infection.

Does it seem to be 'fluffy in texture or smooth and bumpy like a "wart"?
The spots aren't really brown, its almost as if it has lost the yellow coloring...it doesn't look like it is any sort of scab or wart, just looks like the skin lost its color in a few spots. I have dipped him in the half fresh and half salt with formalin 3 two times......i worry that moving him in and out will stress him out alot, but my LFS said they do this to theirs once a day untill the symptoms clear up and I guess it works for them!
Old 07-22-2003, 07:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
The "brown" spots sound like they may be lymphocystis which is most commonly brought on by poor living conditions and diet
Oh yea...I forgot. My water test all came back normal, I only had the fish a day before I noticed this problem. I will do a 10percent water change in tommorrow or the next day.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:13 PM   #8
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by two11devan
The spots aren't really brown, its almost as if it has lost the yellow coloring...it doesn't look like it is any sort of scab or wart, just looks like the skin lost its color in a few spots.
Are these "spots" near the frontal (face) area or running down the midsection front to back? Are they raised up or completely flat?

Quote:
I have dipped him in the half fresh and half salt with formalin 3 two times......i worry that moving him in and out will stress him out alot, but my LFS said they do this to theirs once a day untill the symptoms clear up and I guess it works for them!
I really do not recommend this kind of treatment. In most cases except flukes are formalin dip ever necessary. A proper QT tank would have provided a relatively stressed reduced environment where the tang could be observed and treated if necessary. I would suggest reading about the QT in the article section.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-22-2003, 08:23 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The spots are near the face area....have you seen this, and is it pretty common with tangs?
Old 07-22-2003, 11:14 PM   #10
steve-s

This would be so much easier with a picture of the tang and the affected area.

Could still be a few things. The reason I asked the above was I was thinking HLLE which would look similar to this:

Considering the other fish at the LFS had this and the store instructed you in the use of formalin the one thing I am leaning toward at this point is turbellarians (aka black ich), which if that's the case I would never shop there again.

The other possibility would be flukes. But you should see some sort of texture or "raised" area in either case.

I would definately call the LFS using your "friendly" voice and find out for sure. Don't get upset until you get an answer or they'll probably just hang up.

I hope the tang is in a QT, if not you may need to QT all the fish in the main display. Please let us know if anything here rings true or an honest answer is forthcoming from the LFS.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
fresh, fresh water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com