freshwater dipping a cowfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

i have crabs

Aquarium Advice Freak
does anyone know if this is ok to do i was told that they have no scales and would die if freshwater dipped
i would like to get rid of this ich problem as soon as possible but dont wanna kill any fish in the process

also how would you mach the ph in the freshwater

Freshwater dipping is not typically an effective way to get rid of ich. Your best bet would be to quarantine the fish and treat it with either hyposalinity or copper.

If you are really set on freshwater dipping, you can match the pH by getting some sort of buffer. Possibly proper pH 8.2.

Your best bet would be to quarantine the fish and treat it with either hyposalinity or copper.
I agree with this except with the cowfish use hypo, they are sensitive to copper. You really need to qt and treat all the fish in the system and leave the main tank fishless for at least 6 weeks to rid of the the parasite.
Forget the dip, stressful and will not solve the problem.

THE PROBLEM IS THERE IS A 4-5" COWFISH A 10" LIONFISH AND 3 AND 4" TANG PUFFER AND DOMINO DAMSIL IN THE TANK WICH WILL NOT ALL FIT IN A 20G TANK WICH IS ALL I HAVE RIGHT NOW FOR A QT (sorry bout the caps) and i cant drop the sg cause thier is a large general starfish in the tank and the other tank i have is a reef so the star cant go in thier for a while

mabey i can put the star in the 20g and lower the sg in the big tank for a couple weeks
a snowflake eel wont be bothered by the lower sg will it what about all the rock i read it will kill off the live part

mabey i can put the star in the 20g and lower the sg in the big tank for a couple weeks
Yup, I have done that myself.
Just move as much of your LR to the 20 gallon with the inverts, the hypo will kill off your rock and you will need some to reseed later.
If you choose this route, keep a good eye on water quality, it will take a dive as you lowers SG, especially PH.

frigen brittle star hangs out under the rock with the eel gonna be hard to catch him but what ya gonna do

i assume lower sg will kill snails as well as crabs and everything else in thier
im havin enough trouble with water quality already since i added the lion fish
if i buy an aquaclear 500 is it better off running it with the media in it or should i buy a light and grow micro in it for extra filtering
because of my setup i cannot grow in my sump

i have crabs said:
the eel gonna be hard to catch him but what ya gonna do
Leave it be. The eel will be better off without the added stress of transfering and will tolerate hypo just fine as long as the pH is strictly monitored and corrected as needed.

i assume lower sg will kill snails as well as crabs and everything else in thier
The only thing that will typically survive hypo is the fish and bacteria.

im havin enough trouble with water quality already since i added the lion fish
if i buy an aquaclear 500 is it better off running it with the media in it or should i buy a light and grow micro in it for extra filtering
because of my setup i cannot grow in my sump
Nutrient export is always a more worthy goal than accumulation. If water quality is an issue, you should first address whether or not it's a stocking concern. If not; skimming, macro algae export, increased water volume and/or a good 'ol coil denitrator might be helpful.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom