frogspawn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clark4feathers

Aquarium Advice Freak
my frogspawn did not come out tonight. All my water test are good. My other corals look good. Have had it for about 1 month. lights are 4 24's 50/50. it is in somthing that resembles a hollow tree(not sure what you would call it). I see it tucked in the "tree"

The "tree" is the skeleton. It just sounds like it's retracted more than normal. If everything else is fine, it might just be in a "bad mood". My LPS corals go through phases, maybe every 4-5 months or so, where they won't expand fully like normal. That phase will last a couple days, and then it will be back to normal.

Only think I've been able to figure out is that maybe they're saving the energy normally used to expand, and using it to go through a growth spurt - much like a child will sleep/nap more during a growth spurt. Just my unscientific thoughts, though.

It might just be that a crab crawled over it. Give it time it should be okay.

The skeleton is the calcium carbonate produced by the coral. Frogspwan are somewhat sensitive to water parameters.

Maybe you can get your LFS to double check your water parameters to be on the safe side.

I have a couple of xenias that look great. I would tend to believe if my water is not good, they would not look good either. Xenias seem to be one of the sensitive corals

I have a couple of xenias that look great. I would tend to believe if my water is not good, they would not look good either. Xenias seem to be one of the sensitive corals

IME, xenia are some of the hardiest corals in "dirty" water. Great for LPS / softie tanks, but I know a lot of people that can't keep them in SPS tanks because of the lack of waste nutrients.

I think Kurt nailed it. Our LPS will get "snitty" every few months for a couple days. I've seen them expel wastes during those times, but I don't know if that is the entire reason for it.

Agree with HN1... xenia will grow in the nastiest of tanks. Not saying yours is nasty, but just saying that its presence is in no way an indicator of water quality.

Is the frogspawn in a low/moderate flow area?

I just have not had much luck with getting frags of xenia in the mail....so far no luck. Of course I am fasinated by a pulsating xenia...anyway I will keep my eye on my frogspawn. I am sure you are right about it "resting"

Back
Top Bottom