Frogspawn dying??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nu-Nu the eel

Aquarium Advice Addict
My favorite coral might be dying! :( tank got really hot today without us knowing and went up to 89. We are bringing it down to a safe temp but the frogspawn's mouth was wide open and white stuff was comming out of it... Looked almost like a rock.... Is it dying?? :( thanks

This morning it looks a little bubbly where his mouth is... Everything else looks good. Any help?

You can try filling an ice cream bucket of saltwater and freeze it than use that ice to cool down your tank.
. Too much freshwater ice can knock down salinity. I

when my hammer died its tentacles were retracted all but a little you could see at the top. They did begin to release white stuff and died the next day....No clue why the other poly is still alive just odd.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
This morning it looks a little bubbly where his mouth is... Everything else looks good. Any help?

Sound like it expelled its intestines. If thats the case then it likely done for. Just be glad its only your frogspawn, could have been much worse. Whole tank could have crashed. Do you know why it overheated?

Yeah, 86 definitely won't work for long! I am forced to keep my AC at 75, in Fla, to keep my tank at 78-79. To not force the purchase of a $800 chiller.
Hope you can keep it down Sniper.

Schism said:
Sound like it expelled its intestines. If thats the case then it likely done for. Just be glad its only your frogspawn, could have been much worse. Whole tank could have crashed. Do you know why it overheated?

Thanks man. It is fine today, i just needed to lower that temp! It overheated because we have people working on our kitchen an they kept the doors open all day... It was really hot outside. Thanks again guys!

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Thanks man. It is fine today, i just needed to lower that temp! It overheated because we have people working on our kitchen an they kept the doors open all day... It was really hot outside. Thanks again guys!

I feel your pain,...we get pretty hot out here in San Diego too,..90-100 lots and lots of days and it's a killer to watch your tanks temp steadily grow up and up,... Ive also used the frozen saltwater trick ( but it works better on a smaller tank ).... I ordered my chiller yesterday!!

Dary421 said:
I feel your pain,...we get pretty hot out here in San Diego too,..90-100 lots and lots of days and it's a killer to watch your tanks temp steadily grow up and up,... Ive also used the frozen saltwater trick ( but it works better on a smaller tank ).... I ordered my chiller yesterday!!

Thanks great dary! Good to hear a member that is so close to me! :)

Yea we have like 4 bags of ice freezing right bow just in case things get hot! Chillers are just too darn expensive for me :/ maybe soon!

I'm curious what the bubble over the mouth means as well. After mine got stung by an anemone it closed up for about a month. Then when it came back it had a bubble over the middle. It looks okay now, just a little transparent in the tentacles (i think it's bleached). I'd still like to know what the bubble means.

Same thing happened to my biocube last Friday temps over here in Stockton CA reached 105 luckily I was home I had to completely open the hood and kick the ac on brought it back Downward to 79. Just leave the hood open and lower you heater by 1 or 2 degrees that way it takes longer for it to warm up during the day

You should try keeping the temp down in a 100 yr old house with more windows then walls. During the summer I actually turn off my heater on both my salt and fresh water tanks.

Glad it all worked out. How is it looking now? The slimy stuff coming off sounds like it was expelling zooxanthellae perhaps? Corals will do that when stressed. Believe me I have seen it many times since I started my reef as I have a penchant for stressing corals :).

My frogspawn never looks too good no matter where I put it...

Haha thanks fort! The frogspawn is lookin pretty good now. Took this pic yesterday, 4 heads

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Haha thanks fort! The frogspawn is lookin pretty good now. Took this pic yesterday, 4 heads

I'm envious ,...my frogspawn from saltwaterfish.com I just received came in D.O.A. , Got store credit but rather disappointed nevertheless

Back
Top Bottom