frogspawn emergency

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
okay its had it. the brown has returned much more than last night. the polyp was back to being retracted, and tissue degeneration has started. that head is toast, problem is there is no seperation between that one and the very healthy large head directly next to it. GREAAAAAAAAT.

Going to try to figure it out now how to cut it off. I am so upset about it.

Should i go out and buy lugols and dip the whole rest of the coral after i do this? UGH

How many heads are there total? Break off both heads by the branch if you can ;)

yeah well it used to be a beautiful peice of froggy. i broke both heads off trying to chop off the one. i then after it was broken off i chopped directly down with a razor all of the other part and placed the other head (whats left) and the 2 head branch in seperate areas of the aquarium, i sprayed it down with the blaster outside the tank to clean.

so pissed off ... done with that LFS. they can bite me

No one knows what exactly causes the epidemic and happens to the best of us. It is frustrating I know. If anything, now you can take more time to inspect livestock you're interested in and the surrounding livestock as well.

i know innovator. it is really frustrating. i know you all have experienced losses too. I am getting discouraged now because all of my ricordea yumas died of a mysterious white fuz they developed too a while back shortly after i bought them too. so now im pretty much just killing stuff. The frog looked good before - you can see pics in my thread when i first got it. this just outbreaked within 2 days out of nowhere. its really frustrating because i really do take so much time to try and learn everything i can. eh lemme stop going on and take a shower to cool off.

Ahhh nothing like a little cheese with your corals. This pathogen shares similarities with zoanthid colonies and can wreak havoc within hours. Same protocols apply, siphon necrosis, added water flow to keep tissue "clean," extra water changes, carbon, and hope for the best. Lugol's can work as well in this case. Degrading water quality is the usual suspect (in all matters of aquariums) and if you are purchasing from the same lfs then there is a contamination issue.

pfew... heads together lol.

running carbon. the polyps were opened up last night, not fully, but I did stress them out when I took them out of the water to "operate" i guess. Crossing fingers with everything. Thanks for all the good advice and support peoples. I appreciate it.

I'll update in a week with health status unless reinfection occurs.

Sometimes I had to break off more then what was required for the good of the coral and tank. I know it does not help you feel better but in the long run you will be glad. I thought when I broke those heads off my torch I thought it was ruined but it is so huge now that I almost have to think about moving it so it does not encroach upon my SPS corals. Hang in there Mandown. Things will be better IMO and IME.

Carbon and extra water changes can help. I am always amazed at how simple water changes can help the livestock come back and fight off many problems.

the head attached to the other one that got the brown stuff got it all over it and i removed it. that was the best head, but the good news is no sign of infection in a while with the remaining 2 heads, so looks like all good now.

Congrats! I know how tough it is when this happens. Heck I think we all do. It's part of the hobby and the reason this site exits. You are following some good advice by peopel who have also been through this. We do know that you can get past it and hopefully that's where you are now.

I agree 100% cmor. I hope I'm there too.

In retrospect - I would have done a Lugols bath on the head i seperated from the bad head which may have stifled the infection. It looked clean, the polyps were opened wider than ever, but still under the surface the infection lingered and overtook it in a matter of hours just a few days later.

Lugols may have been the day saver on that head.

So right. I didn't do it because I was like "what the heck is Lugols where do I get it blah blah" But if I just had it laying around it would have been a 2 minute job which wouldve maybe helped. I just hope the people following this thread who are newer can learn from my mistake.

Back
Top Bottom