Frogspawn (honey coral) turning brown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kj06al

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Our tank has been up for a while now and we introduced a honey coral about a month ago. It has grown quite alot and is fully open during the day and closes at night.

Over the last week I have noticed that one half of it looks dull and a brownish colour almost like an algae is starting to grow on it (it is not very clear in the picture but was the best we could do).

Our levels are as follows:

Calcium 380
PH 8.2
Ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 10 (due water change tomorrow)
gravity/salinity 1.023/31
Magnesium 1470
KH 7.7

The only change to the tank in the last week is an addition of a bubbletip anemone and a serpent starfish.

As the coral was thriving and is still opne and happy I am reluctant to move it within the tank.

Does anyone know what might be happening or wrong with my honey coral?

Thank you

Kirstie

Attachments

• IMG_0708.jpg
    IMG_0708.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 150
Welcome to AA!

Exactly how long is "Our tank has been up for a while now".

I agree with Mike. It's very bleached and unhealthy looking. What kind of lights do you have?

Also looks like you have some cyano on your live rock. Did you test for phosphate? Do you run a skimmer and if so, what kind?

More Info

The lighting we have are 4 T5 54W (3 are marine white and one is marine blue). The blue and one white is on from 1pm until 9pm and the other two switch on at 4pm until 10pm.

We have a V2 600 protein skimmer, an AquaOne aquis 1250 canister filter, two powerheads and a V2 vecton UV filter.

The tank has been set up for about 6 months, I suppose its not that long.

I haven't tested for phosphate I will have to obtain a testing kit for this, I will do this as soon as possible.

Thank you

Kirstie

Sorry forgot to mention my tank is 300 litres with 20kg of live rock.

Kirstie

Welcome to AA!

Exactly how long is "Our tank has been up for a while now".

I agree with Mike. It's very bleached and unhealthy looking. What kind of lights do you have?

Also looks like you have some cyano on your live rock. Did you test for phosphate? Do you run a skimmer and if so, what kind?

The phosphate level is 0.25.

I have been suggested by my local aquarist to dip the coral into Melafix solution for 5 seconds to treat for brown slime algae. However this has had no effect.

Any suggestions?

Kirstie

Back
Top Bottom