Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-08-2012, 11:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Frogspawn polyp receding

My tank has been running for about 3 1/2 months at this point. I have 85 pounds of live rock and 80 lbs of sand in a 75 gallon tank. It has a 40 breeder that I made into a sump it has a skimmer chamber and a fuge. Water then passes through a 36watt uv sterilizer before being pumped back into the tank. Fuge has lots of macro and some live rock ruble. Live stock in tank is 2 true percolas, 5 green chromis, sand sifting goby, hi fin pistol shrimp pair, and a six line wrasse. There are 20 blue leg hermits and 5 other mis. Hermits. I have several different polyps a hammer coral, Kenya tree(s) they have spread everywhere. Mushrooms. Green bubble tip( clowns are hosting), candy cane coral. I change 15 gallons once a week
Water perameters
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate less than .5 ppm
Salinity 1.024
Don't have phosphate test kit I need to get one
I have a 5 stage ro system and di chamber I woke up couple days ago two one of the two frogspawnhead almost completely receded bone showing and all. Hasnt improved in three days. All other inverts and livestock is thriving I don't get what's going on
Any ideas? I'll post pic of frogspawn shortly

Old 07-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity Aquascapes
My tank has been running for about 3 1/2 months at this point. I have 85 pounds of live rock and 80 lbs of sand in a 75 gallon tank. It has a 40 breeder that I made into a sump it has a skimmer chamber and a fuge. Water then passes through a 36watt uv sterilizer before being pumped back into the tank. Fuge has lots of macro and some live rock ruble. Live stock in tank is 2 true percolas, 5 green chromis, sand sifting goby, hi fin pistol shrimp pair, and a six line wrasse. There are 20 blue leg hermits and 5 other mis. Hermits. I have several different polyps a hammer coral, Kenya tree(s) they have spread everywhere. Mushrooms. Green bubble tip( clowns are hosting), candy cane coral. I change 15 gallons once a week
Water perameters
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate less than .5 ppm
Salinity 1.024
Don't have phosphate test kit I need to get one
I have a 5 stage ro system and di chamber I woke up couple days ago two one of the two frogspawnhead almost completely receded bone showing and all. Hasnt improved in three days. All other inverts and livestock is thriving I don't get what's going on
Any ideas? I'll post pic of frogspawn shortly
Temp is 78 degrees if matters.
Also recently added additional power head. Could this be the cause?

Old 07-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Anyone have any ideas.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:35 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

What's your lighting? Is it new? If so, so you have to acclimate them to the new light.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Keep an eye on it my frogspawn, hammers and my torch was sulking all at the same time when all perimeters were met, kept an eye on them, turns out the were splitting into new heads, I'd be more concerned if there was brown jelly or basal detachment, maybe they are not happy with with the flow, are they being whipped about? Or too little flow? If there is a change in lighting from T5 to led? May just need to acclimatise
Old 07-10-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

6 48" t5 s
3 10k 3 blue actenic
8 moonlight leds only use for 2 hrs a night.
Coral has been in for about a month and a half
It did great up until about a week ago. When I first put it in it showed polyp extension and seemed to actually get bigger. But now it looks not very good at all. May have improved slightly last night. Water is still testing good
Old 07-10-2012, 08:53 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

They don't seem to be in to high of a flow area I moved it several times after acclimation to try and find an area it likes. It seems to like the sand bed close to live rock the best. At least that's where it did well for a while....
Old 07-10-2012, 08:54 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Haven't seen any brown jelly and the polyps don't seem to be detaching
Old 07-10-2012, 08:57 AM   #9

Any fish in there that good annoy it, my plum tomato clown has taken a shine to my 7 head frogspawn, no sign of brown jelly or basal detachment? More looking sulking as if at night/ startled? My hammers were the size of a 10 pence piece and went down to the size of a penny, after about a month of no blooming randomly came back with 3 heads, does tend to sulk to use energy to split, no colour change at all, signs of rapid tissue necrosis?
Old 07-10-2012, 08:59 AM   #10

Sorry apologies for the for the comparison, I'm from the uk, and noticed you are from the states 10p - quarter- penny - penny

Tags
frog, frogs, frogspawn, polyp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com