Frogspawn polyp receding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Infinity Aquascapes

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tank has been running for about 3 1/2 months at this point. I have 85 pounds of live rock and 80 lbs of sand in a 75 gallon tank. It has a 40 breeder that I made into a sump it has a skimmer chamber and a fuge. Water then passes through a 36watt uv sterilizer before being pumped back into the tank. Fuge has lots of macro and some live rock ruble. Live stock in tank is 2 true percolas, 5 green chromis, sand sifting goby, hi fin pistol shrimp pair, and a six line wrasse. There are 20 blue leg hermits and 5 other mis. Hermits. I have several different polyps a hammer coral, Kenya tree(s) they have spread everywhere. Mushrooms. Green bubble tip( clowns are hosting), candy cane coral. I change 15 gallons once a week
Water perameters
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate less than .5 ppm
Salinity 1.024
Don't have phosphate test kit I need to get one
I have a 5 stage ro system and di chamber I woke up couple days ago two one of the two frogspawnhead almost completely receded bone showing and all. Hasnt improved in three days. All other inverts and livestock is thriving I don't get what's going on
Any ideas? I'll post pic of frogspawn shortly

Infinity Aquascapes said:
My tank has been running for about 3 1/2 months at this point. I have 85 pounds of live rock and 80 lbs of sand in a 75 gallon tank. It has a 40 breeder that I made into a sump it has a skimmer chamber and a fuge. Water then passes through a 36watt uv sterilizer before being pumped back into the tank. Fuge has lots of macro and some live rock ruble. Live stock in tank is 2 true percolas, 5 green chromis, sand sifting goby, hi fin pistol shrimp pair, and a six line wrasse. There are 20 blue leg hermits and 5 other mis. Hermits. I have several different polyps a hammer coral, Kenya tree(s) they have spread everywhere. Mushrooms. Green bubble tip( clowns are hosting), candy cane coral. I change 15 gallons once a week
Water perameters
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate less than .5 ppm
Salinity 1.024
Don't have phosphate test kit I need to get one
I have a 5 stage ro system and di chamber I woke up couple days ago two one of the two frogspawnhead almost completely receded bone showing and all. Hasnt improved in three days. All other inverts and livestock is thriving I don't get what's going on
Any ideas? I'll post pic of frogspawn shortly

Temp is 78 degrees if matters.
Also recently added additional power head. Could this be the cause?

Keep an eye on it my frogspawn, hammers and my torch was sulking all at the same time when all perimeters were met, kept an eye on them, turns out the were splitting into new heads, I'd be more concerned if there was brown jelly or basal detachment, maybe they are not happy with with the flow, are they being whipped about? Or too little flow? If there is a change in lighting from T5 to led? May just need to acclimatise

6 48" t5 s
3 10k 3 blue actenic
8 moonlight leds only use for 2 hrs a night.
Coral has been in for about a month and a half
It did great up until about a week ago. When I first put it in it showed polyp extension and seemed to actually get bigger. But now it looks not very good at all. May have improved slightly last night. Water is still testing good

They don't seem to be in to high of a flow area I moved it several times after acclimation to try and find an area it likes. It seems to like the sand bed close to live rock the best. At least that's where it did well for a while....

Any fish in there that good annoy it, my plum tomato clown has taken a shine to my 7 head frogspawn, no sign of brown jelly or basal detachment? More looking sulking as if at night/ startled? My hammers were the size of a 10 pence piece and went down to the size of a penny, after about a month of no blooming randomly came back with 3 heads, does tend to sulk to use energy to split, no colour change at all, signs of rapid tissue necrosis?

Sorry apologies for the for the comparison, I'm from the uk, and noticed you are from the states 10p - quarter- penny - penny

I defiantly appears to be sulking. What u can see of the polyp still has good color it's just shrunken back! Maybe it is splitting?? I'll hope for that. If that's the case how long did it take yours to open up again?

Just remember still get plenty of food like plankton, or the coca cola bottle trick, cut the top off a cola bottle and rest some chopped Mysis, needs a lot of energy if it is splitting, as before keep an eye out for rtn, bjd, polyp detachment if you can see the stingers, it's always good, even if it's just a little, it's a bit like at night sometimes mine recede in so much I think the worst, maybe a pic?

Just see the little purple stingers but really small, under atinics - blue should be luminous green and luminous pink in the centre but mostly skeletal poylp base

It has shown improvement I actually caught a peppermint shrimp picking at it so I brushed the shrimp away and it just kept coming back so I moved the frag into my fuge. I made a small rack out of egg crate and within 3-4 hours it was looking better. Could the shrimp be the issue? Never heard of them picking at corals but who knows. Also one of my actinics had burnt out and I didn't realize it. That would account for 54watts of lighting going missing with I would guess that could have some negative effects

It's very likely that the shrimp was just picking off some decomposing matter, and actually trying to clean the coral off. I don't think the shrimp could be the reason for the recession.

Not do much damaging it, just that they are receding as its annoyed by the shrimp clambering on it, if it's improving, keep an eye on it, my recede sometimes when my tangs swim a but to close to it

Think I talked this up to much, power head came loose today and blew one of the polyps of my frogspawn, know how you feel now!

Back
Top Bottom