Frustrated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clowninround

Aquarium Advice FINatic
All my corals are slowly but surely crashing. It is like a domino affect. I am so sad. My shrimp, starfish and other inverts seem fine...so do the fish. I don't know what I am doing. Everything was looking so great and then after this last batch of corals I bought everything has just stared falling apart. I still have a fair amount of corals, but I have lost about 3 corals completely and I have atleast 3 others that are dying off quickly. I am just really heartbroken...

Could be coral placement. If things started occuring after you added the last set of corals then they could be doing their chemical warfare causing the others to react. You can try different placments and see if that helps. In addition some corals are just not compatble. IE to many SPS will cause leathers to not fair so well.

YOu can try running carbon in your filter for a week or so aswell and see if that helps.

I don't know much about corals, but thats what I was gonna ask. Maybe some chemical warfare due to placement?

Well I lost 3 leathers. Two were from the new batch. The first to go was a big giant yellow toadstool. It smelled coming out of the bag and the bag it was in was cloudy so I didn't have high hopes for it. But it seemed ok and all it's polyps came out. Then my husband noticed this brown jelly like stuff and I talked to steve-s about it. After syphoning, we saw that it was rotting really bad. So I go to take it out to try and frag it and it falls on the 3 seperate rocks it was attached too...I had to grab it with both hands to keep it together, but I still ended up gettting chunks floating around. Nothing was left to frag. Then my other new coral, the figner leather started looking like it was shedding, but it got real ugly real quick and when I woke up to frag it it was covered in brown stuff too. I had a small leather frag that I have had for quite some time that was close to it, and it was also covered in the brown stuff and was complete mush. Then my torch suffered a fate of my own ignorance. I had it proped up on a platform type rock, but steve told me it should not be touching anything, where it was rubbing it had brown jelly too (but that was bacterial I believe steve said). Only one branch was affected. I was able to syphon it clean since fragging it proved near impossible. Not my Xenia is coming unattached on certain stalks. My clove polyps have shriveled up. Only a few seem heathly. I took them out, dipped them and cleaned them gently but it does not appear that it had much effect. I still have my flowerpot, zoo's, paly's, mushrooms, ricordia, colt coral, small leather frag (I think it's a baby toadstool) but it has periods that it doesn't look so great, orange sponge, plate coral (but it is getting a white tint 8O ), star polyps...and I think thats it. Here are my parameters. ph 8.1 (this afternoon) however, I have been battling low ph, alk 5 meq/l, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrates 15ppm. Please note that I have been doing daily water changes of between 15-25 gallons of water :roll: . I don't know why I have nitrates. I have a DSB, a 30 fuge with rock rubble (It seems to be growing every algea known to man good or bad :evil: ) I am thinking of taking the rock rubble out of the bioball chamber to see if that helps...other than that I am clueless.

What's your water source tap, RO, RO/DI? Also, alk 5 meg/l is pretty high, what's your ca? Have you ever checked your phosphate level? Just some starting points...

I am thinking of taking the rock rubble out of the bioball chamber
Is the LR rubble completely under water? If it is, I would leave it in there.

I'm also battling a nitrate (~25ppm) problem of unknown origin with a similar setup and feeding cut back to 1x, every other day.

Sorry, can't help much on the coral issue. With daily 10% water changes I would think that water quality would remain quite high.

Yes I am using RO/DI and my phosphate is between 0 and .25. My rock rubble is as you say completely submerged.

This kind of thing is so frustrating. I had a similar tank crash once, I still never figured out what happened. One coral after another just starting crashing and I was heart broken. It did happen similarly to me, came home with a couple of nice pieces and suddenly things went down hill. It is more than likely something that came in with your new batch of corals. I cringe everytime I put anything in my tank, there are so many unknown variables out there, sorry for your loss. All you can do is keep testing anything you can think of and changing water. :cry:

Thing's looked a little better this morning. I didn't notice any new coral damage, keeping my fingers crossed and the water changes coming. Thank you all for kind words, I needed that. I am still tring to figure out what exactly went wrong, but I am hoping all these water changes fixed it.

Back
Top Bottom