Fungus covering fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZoozFishMaster

Aquarium Advice Freak
My Lemonpeel angel is starting to develop some globs of cotton-like fungus on its fins. I understand that the fungus should clear up on its on (provided good water quality). However, does anyone know any treatments that will kill the fungus instead of waiting for it to clear up? I was thinking freshwater dip, or maybe products such as Mela-Fix? Thanks in advance.

It may not be a fungus which is probably why you were told to wait it out. Usually, if no wounds are present and the water quality is good, it may be Lympho...something or other...lol. Lymph for short. It's viral and there is no treatment for it. It generally will go away on it's own. Some people opt to keep picking it off until it stops returning. That just seems to stress the fish more, but if it gets bad, you'll have to intervene. Until then, test the water and keep a close eye on the fish for any abnormal behavior, listlessness, or lack of appetite.

Increase the amount and frequency of your water changes in the meantime. Be sure the new SW is well aged/aerated before use. Reducing DOC is the first best step in dealing with these kinds of issues. Starving the iridovirus is usually the best way to deal with Lymphocystis. As TCTFish stated, there is no med for this ailment.

As far as removal is concerned, I wouldn't recommend that unless it is interfering with proper gill movement or covering the mouth preventing it from eating. Lymphocystis is otherwise not life threatening.

Along with the water changes, be sure you fortify the feedings with a quality marine vitamin high in [acronym="Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acid"]HUFA[/acronym]. Boosting the immune system is also going to help the fish help itself.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom